Tuesday, March 17, 2015

No Leprechaun Zone

Ah, St. Patrick's Day. Yet another day when we convince our children there are imaginary creatures  running rampant in their homes and classrooms. Then we instruct the kids to build traps to catch them in, so the creatures can then tell us where the pot of gold is.Via torture? I'm not sure, exactly. I'm unclear on that part. Does the Geneva Convention apply to leprechauns?



While I'm all for the magic of the imagination, I kind of think some of it is getting out of hand. I guess in all actuality, leprechauns are pretty inoffensive. Maybe I'm just more annoyed with the "trap" that my daughter brought home from school. It's made from empty cracker boxes, yogurt cups, tape and a Gatorade bottle. I have a suspicion that it's all just ploy from the school to get the kids to help with their trash removal.

I'm not a fun mom; I didn't leave gold coins or green glitter, or leave tiny leprechaun footprints all over the floor for my kids to find.  Honestly, I have a hard time lying about Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny (I know, I know. The magic of childhood.) I know there are a lot of cool parents that do that, and my kids will hear about it at school, and then come home depressed because the leprechauns skipped our house. Then I'll feel bad, and end up making shamrock-shaped pancakes for dinner. (While I'll be having a Guinness float. )

My kids should be used to feeling bad; we have a lot of imaginary creatures that skip our house, and the ones that do visit are kind of cheap. My daughter doesn't understand why her friend's tooth fairy leaves $20 and toys, while she just gets a dollar. My kids also don't understand why we don't have a birthday fairy, and the neighbor does. We don't have an Elf on the Shelf. The cupid doesn't fly by. It's a no leprechaun zone. (But I may or may not have told them I stepped on one this morning.)

It's a boring house. But I am planning on having the kids help me plant some imaginary trees for Arbor Day.

Trees, trees, as far as the eye can see

7 comments:

Shell said...

No leprechauns here, either. And our Tooth Fairy only leave $1, too. Though ours sometimes takes a few days to get here.

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

Hahaha! Yes, our tooth fairy has had to take quite a few sick days! :)

saki said...

nice blog and really too useful, keep update more information.
Hadoop Training in Chennai

Abiya Carol said...

Such a great articles in my carrier, It's wonderful commands like easiest understand words of knowledge in information's.

J2ee training in chennai

Rohith said...

Great post....Thank you for posting the great content……I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs…
If you Want more seo course in chennai

devi kala said...

This information is impressive.I am inspired with your post writing style & how continuously you describe this topic.
Peridotsystems
Hadoop Training in Chennai

Blogger said...

eToro is the #1 forex trading platform for beginning and professional traders.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails