Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Vodka in my Orange Juice

I've never featured food in any of my posts. There are so many great blogs dedicated solely to recipes, and my flaky, disorganized method of cooking would add nothing of value to anyone. I'm the person that stands in front of the refrigerator at 6:00pm, wondering why the kids have to eat everyday, trying to come up with something to feed them. Not because I don't like to cook; I actually like it a lot, and before I had kids (who have very "sophisticated" palates) I made some pretty creative dishes. But I never write down my recipes and they're never the same twice. I don't measure anything, and I don't taste anything as I cook, I judge what it needs by smell. That tends to be hard to explain in a recipe. "Add salt, pepper and basil until it, uh... smells right." Yeah. Doesn't really work. Nor are the kids impressed with my impressive sensory feats, and the past several years meals have basically consisted of about 10 recipes, rotated over and over. The kids do not deal well with change.
"Mom! There's something GREEN on my spaghetti! Get it off! Why do you always have to ruin my life??"
 But today! Today I was a regular domestic dervish, whirling around the kitchen in a flurry of productivity. I was planning and chopping (no broccoli, however) and marinating. I was cooking. And I hadn't even finished my morning coffee yet. By the time the kids got home from school, I had ten dinners and two pans of lasagna in the freezer. I prepped veggies for several more dinners.
You can't expect me to organize, too.

And, and, and! I made a batch of oatmeal/peanut butter "energy bites" and 3 dozen chocolate chip cookies.
I had to memorialize the occasion with pictures, because it's very possible that this was a once-in-a-lifetime event.  

My kitchen saw so much action today it had to go out and smoke a cigarette. I even wore an apron. However, I don't have photographic evidence so you'll just have to take my word for it. I also managed to take the puppy for two walks and did several loads of laundry. And get this...I even folded it. Well, some of it.

Turns out that vodka in my orange juice was an excellent idea.





4 comments:

Karen Mortensen said...

Wow! Way to go.

Willoughby said...

Vodka is good for so many things...

HB said...

You are wearing a cape too, right? You certainly deserve one! Nice work!

dblandes said...

I love those days! It's like someone lights a fire under my butt.

I'm visiting from SITS... nice to meet you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails