Wednesday, August 4, 2010

School For Husbands

I just finished reading "The School for Husbands" by Wendy Holden. Unless you like weak, whiny characters I wouldn't suggest it. It annoyed the heck out of me. But the premise of the book is a husband who tries to save his marriage by attending the "School for Husbands" where the courses include things like closing the toilet seat after peeing, helping with housework, general hygiene and the importance of keeping chocolate in the house. Basically, it says that it's the little things that end up being the one big thing that will end a marriage. And I do see the point. On the cover, it asks "What Would You Teach Yours?"


It got me thinking...what would I teach my husband? He always closes the toilet seat and his aim is perfect, he showers daily and he doesn't leave hair on the soap. I know people whose husbands demand dinner at a certain time everyday; my husband doesn't care if we eat at five or eight and he usually cleans up the kitchen after I cook. Even if dinner ends up being a experiment and it goes horribly wrong, he will eat it and say it's good. If I need wine, he will go to the liquor store and get some for me. He always puts his dirty clothes in the hamper. He's been known to borrow my car simply to put gas in it, because he knows that I hate doing it. He's never criticized me and only once in our 12 years together has he laughed at my shoe choice. He knows that I'm a slob and he knows how disorganized I am, but he tolerates it without comment. Even when I misplace important paper work or forget to make an vital phone call, the most I get is a sigh and an eye roll. The more I thought about it, the more I realized how...dare I say it?...lucky I am. ( I hope he doesn't read this...we don't need to inflate his ego.)

My biggest complaint is that he works too many hours, but I know that he's doing it for us, so we can afford what we have. How can I be mad at that? (Actually, depending on my mood, it's pretty easy to get mad at that. Right now, however, I'm feeling grateful.)  He's compassionate, thoughtful and usually manages to say exactly the right things. Most the time, he's more patient with the kids than I am. And he almost always takes the trash out without asking.

If I decided I wanted a puppy, he'd go out and find me one. If I decided I wanted another baby, he wouldn't hesitate to unzip his pants... He's supportive of this blog, even if he doesn't quite understand it and he wouldn't hesitate to hand over the TV remote if I were to ask. He even loves to go grocery shopping.

So...what would I teach him? Wow. I don't know. Maybe he could take a cooking class...it would be nice to have someone else cook for me now and then. Oh. And actually, it would be great if he could figure out how to turn on the vacuum. And give me pedicures. But aside from that...I'd have to say I'm pretty lucky.

So...what would you teach your husband? (Or wife! )

25 comments:

Rita/Fighting Off Frumpy said...

Your husband sounds a lot like mine! He's generally pretty all-around awesome, and although I do get annoyed with him from time to time (who doesn't?) I'm really lucky too.

I'm gonna go hug him now. :)

Mandy said...

I completely agree with you. The only thing my husband and I argue about is how much he works...and again, it's always to make more money for us so I can stay home. So I would teach him nothing!

AmyLK said...

WOW! you hubby sounds almost perfect. Does he have a single brother? lol

Christa Terry said...

Your husband sounds a lot like mine! Once upon a time, I guess I would have said something like "I'd teach him to clean the *%$^ house!" but since then he's totally adapted to my cleanliness needs. I work from home, you see, and I have trouble working when thinks are dirtymessy. Though those pedicures wouldn't go amiss, perhaps with a French paint job!

Susan Fobes said...

Cooking would be at the top of my list, and general cleaning-my husband is a fantastic organizer (I cringe at the sight of chaos), but he doesn't see the little things. He did recently paint my toenails after my ankle break a couple weeks ago, and he did a pretty good job-LOL!

Bryna said...

My hubbie is great too. Of course there ARE things I'd change. Just like, I'm sure, he would say things that could be changed about me.

My main pet peeve. That he thinks the end of his bed is his closet. If you want to wear it again, honey, hang it back up!

Brian Miller said...

oh, i need to work on that end of the bed closet thing...you lost me at whiny weak characters...smiles.

Aging Mommy said...

Wow! I'd say you have a keeper right there!

and greetings from the housewife, Nikki! said...

I guess the only thing I would teach my husband is how to like domestic animals. He's NOT a fan.

Other than that I wouldn't change a thing. I could not have picked a better husband or father to my kids. I am truly blessed.

Looks like I'm not the only one around here!

purseblogger said...

No question, I would teach him to allow us to have one more baby.

Karen Mortensen said...

What a wonderful husband you have. I guess the only thing I would teach my husband is to answer me right away when I call his name or ask a question. There is generally about a 5 to 10 second delay.

Katie said...

My ex husband could learn EVERYTHING and then some and STILL not be worth my time! :-)

MY current beau is amazing...the only thing I've found thus far that I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit different is his desire to spoil my son so much. Another half hour of cartoons before going to bed...lol.

Sounds like you have a good man. Keep him!

panamamama said...

Your hubby sounds like mine. Mine can even cook (I taught him!) Now, he complains I don't clean well, but he never cleans up after dinner so maybe that would be it. :)

Sharlene T. said...

Your husband sounds like my husband and I really got tired of having to defend his goodness... I'm so glad to see that this generation is also blessed... there really are men who can be loving, supportive, helpful, mates that make our lives together joyful... what can we teach them? Maybe, that through choosing, they have become perfect!... when you get a break, come visit...

Twitter: SolarChief

Ed said...

I graduated Magnus Cums Loudly from Husband school.

Sounds like you have a good one yourself.

Treat him well. Good ones luck us are few and far between.

家唐銘 said...

不論做什麼事,相信自己,別讓別人的一句話,把你擊倒。..................................................

Stephani said...

What a great post. I love reading your blog daily because it's so honest. I love that! I have a great husband and have ZERO complaints!

Karen said...

Sounds like you've got a pretty good husband there.

Oh, and just the premise of that book annoys me and assures that I will never read it.

Amo said...

My husband is really great, too. The only things I would teach him are to use a towel after he washes his hands instead of shaking the water off onto the floor and being a little more proactive when it comes to brushing our son's teeth! If I am not home, it doesn't get done!

國彭男國彭男 said...

Lets cross the bridge when we come to it............................................................

ratfacedgirl said...

My husband is almost perfect, as well. Albeit a little high-strung. I've been trying to teach him some relaxation techniques and stuff, but he's also kind of stuck in his ways, so you know...the lessons aren't going so well.
But, yeah. He's perfect.

Erin said...

My husband does pretty well for the most part, too. However, I would teach him to respect my blogging/writing more, and also encourage him to start more loads of laundry. I would also like him to appreciate our laundry-drying rack, esp. since our AC is having trouble keeping up w/ these 100+ temps and I don't want to run our dryer. LOL

But, it does sound like you have a keeper!

singedwingangel said...

Hmmm mine is pretty good, except for his inability to hold a serious conversation with me.. he always turns it into a smart alec comment thing which drives me batty. It's like he can't have a serious convo or his head will explode.. Found ya through Erin ...

When did I become my Mom said...

You're one lucky girl!

Sarah said...

It's great to have a wonderful Hubby! I'm thankful everyday for all the wonderful things he does! I don't know what I'd teach him...he's perfect!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails