Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I hate tuna!

I don't like to lie to my kids. No, really. I don't. But sometimes it's a necessary evil. Like when it comes to food.

Nick hates tuna. Hates it like it wronged him in another life. Hates it with a passion. But he's never actually tasted it.

So, the other night, I made tuna noodle casserole.

"What are you making for dinner?" he asks.
"Food."
"What kind of food?"
"The kind you can eat."
"Mom!"
"I'm making noodle casserole."
"Oh. Why do I smell tuna?" he asks.
"Um...I don't know. I can't smell anything."

Dinner is served.
Delaney and Sam dig in.
"I hate this!" Nick complains, which is the usual dinner refrain, no matter what I cook.
"At least pick out the parts you like."
He very carefully separates the tuna from the rest of the casserole, until he has a nice little pile of it on one side of his plate.

"I'm just going to eat the chicken," he informs me. And proceeds to eat all the tuna.

I still haven't told him it was not chicken.

15 comments:

Amber Page Writes said...

A wise decision indeed. After all, isn't it the chicken of the sea?

Brian Miller said...

teehee...i really think you should tell him so he does not miss out on tuna...

Christy said...

haha, that's awesome

Nezzy said...

Oh baby, that's good....I love it!!!!

Now ya know I'm gonna giggle every time I open a can of tuna. :o)

God bless ya and have the most beautiful day, void of tuna of course.

blueviolet said...

Oh my gosh, I didn't expect that! Hilarious!

Suz said...

Sometimes, what they don't know really won't hurt them.

Made me laugh. Thanks

Homemaker Man said...

High five from the east coast, sistah (SLAP!).

Brie said...

Hahahaha. My husband is that way. Never had it, but bitches every time I cook anything with it because of the smell!

purseblogger said...

Oh my gosh that is awesome!

Bethany @ Organic Enchilada said...

That's just awesome! My two older kids hate potatoes, and in fact vomit whenever I used to make them eat them. So I decided one day that it was just a mental thing and that if they didn't know there were potatoes in the casserole, then they'd eat them and be none the wiser. Long story short, there was puke all over the table and I don't hide potatoes in the food anymore.

I'm very glad that the food deception worked out better for you!

Sissy said...

now that is funny! we call everything chicken - tuna, steak, shrimp, whatever, it's all "chicken" :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I bet you anything that when he's grown and on his own, he'll be all nostalgic over that "chicken casserole".

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

You are a vertiable genius! Long live the tuna. I mean, chicken.

Bryna said...

My mom got me to eat Calamari by telling me it was "big spaghetti o's". Once she told me what it was, I instantly hated it.

Keep the secret... ;)

Hannah said...

haha that's hilarious. i remember my mam ordering a huge plate of kalamari on a holiday when i was a kid and offering my little brother an "onion ring", he still has not forgiven her

Hannah

xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails