Saturday, July 31, 2010

What if the sun burns out?

I was a worry wort as a child (umm...OK...maybe I still am.) I would lay in bed and fret over all the things that could go wrong. What if my parent's died? What if our house burned down? I had a list in my head of all the things I'd want to save in case of fire and a trash bag in my room that I could shove it all in, just in case.

I remember one of my favorite songs by T'Pau (anyone else ever listen to them?):
Don't wish too hard
Because they may come true
And you can't help them
You don't know what you might
Have set upon yourself
This song gave me panic attacks because I told my brother that I wished his head would fall off and I spent the following days convinced that I had killed him. Be careful what you wish for because it just might come true. Then you go to jail.  I may have been a strange child.

Unfortunately, Nick seems to have taken after me. He always has "bad thoughts" and I remember saying that same thing to my mom when I was little. She used to tell me to think about other things, like rainbows and kittens. It didn't work, but I tried it on Nick anyway. I tell Nick to think about monster trucks and dinosaurs. But that was a mistake. You don't use the word "monster" or "dinosaur" when trying to get a kid to think happy thoughts. Because then he wanted to know if a T-Rex could look through his window. I should have stuck to the kittens.

But our current dilemma? Nick is afraid that the sun will burn out. He already has plans to get lights and grow plants in his room. (Which sounds illegal.) He's afraid we won't be able to eat or have oxygen. The kid is only six. He has way too much stress. Can't he just play with his trains and not worry about the end of the world? He's going to have an ulcer before he's eight.

17 comments:

The Waylaid Wordsmith said...

Yikes. I was that EXACT kid. I would bundle all my stuffed animals in a blanket at night in case the house caught fire, and lived in perpetual terror that somebody would kidnap my little brother. Or that a volcano would suddenly appear in my backyard one day...

As an adult I know full well I have an anxiety disorder (or two). But as a kid no one took me seriously. I hope you find something that works for Nick!

Tractor Mom said...

Lord help you both! Good luck!

Come by when you can...

www.frugaltractormom.blogspot.com

Willoughby said...

Poor Nick! That's a lot to worry about!

BTW - I thought I was the only person who still remembered T'Pau!

Brian Miller said...

lol. love the minds of kids...let him know i change the bulb on the sun regularly so it should be fine...smiles.

Angela said...

I was that way too, but it started when I was about 14 I think. And I asked my science teacher that exact question -- what if the sun burns out.

She said, "Well... Angela, of course it will. Actually, it'll explode.. and we'll all die. Oh, but that's not for millions of years yet."

SHYEAH. Thanks lady!

purseblogger said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry. That is so hard. I used to worry a lot too when I was a kid. I swear I had anxiety. I hope he feels better soon girl.

Daffy said...

It always amazes me to see how a child's mind processes....

I can remember being exceptionally worried about the house catching fire when I was younger. I used to sleep with my older sister during thunderstorms. She thought it was because I neede the comfort but really its because her window was the easiest to climb out of and the closest to the ground out of all the bedrooms *wink*

Homemaker Man said...

I use to wake up around that age panicking and thinking about mortality and existence and hoarding water. Sounds like he's perfectly fine, to me.

Homemaker Man said...

Sorry but . . . have you tried being factual with him? Tel him that the sun will burn out someday, but not for billions of years, and at that point it's a good bet the human race will be long gone from this galaxy anyway. That kind of stuff used to comfort me. It doesn't anymore, because now I have bills.

Aging Mommy said...

Oh he sounds like a wonderful scientist in the making. If you don't have such things for him already get him some basic kids astronomy books and if there are such things associated science kits and let him really get into this and learn about all this.

Bethany @ Organic Enchilada said...

Wow, I know the feeling. I wasn't much that way as a kid, but I worry about everything now. It's a disease, I swear. Not fun for the little guy, but I bet lots of hugs and reassurance will help. :)

Karen Mortensen said...

I am sorry. I am not sure what to say. I wish you all the best. I know you are a good mother and somehow you will be able to help him. Don't be araird to ask for help either.

Sharlene T. said...

Telling him to think of nice things is like saying, "Don't think of an elephant!"... he just needs to have the questions answered, and he will ultimately figure out that he's got plenty of time to enjoy the sun... sounds like the imagination has been too stimulated... just carry on as you are... and come visit when you can...

Twitter: SolarChief

rockygrace said...

I remember T'Pau! "Give a little bit of heart and soul ..."

Sorry. I just had to pipe up, there.

AmyLK said...

Brian has a great idea! We'll just keep spare bulbs around for the sun. Good luck!

Bryna said...

I think every kid has an irrational/rational fear, no? Just me? I don't think so!

I was worried about Pirhana's in my lake and SWORE I felt one brush up on me when swimming. I thought about how I would get down from the 2nd floor if there ever was a fire in my house. (and drew out maps!)

Slacker Mom said...

Aww, that makes me sad. I totally know how he feels since I still think things like that daily. Good luck to you both.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails