Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mooo!

A two year old is so much easier to please than say, a 6 year old, when it comes to birthdays. The older they get, the more they want. At two, you can give them a helium balloon and they are happy for hours. The wrapping paper is more interesting than the toys inside. Then suddenly, at 6, they want ponies, jump castles, 50 kids...or worst case scenario? Chuck E. Cheese. Nick has already decided that's where his 7th birthday will be. Then he lists off the 400 kids he wants to invite. I just let him ramble. I'm not going to burst that bubble just yet.

But Sam...last night to celebrate, we just took him to the Cozy Cow Dairy for homemade ice cream. It's a local small dairy with a plastic cow on the roof and in December, that cow is decked out in his Christmas finery. They have goats and a couple of baby cows that the kids can pet. There are peacocks and chickens that the kids can follow around. There is a tractor for the kids to play on. It's simple and better yet, free! Except for the ice cream, of course.



Sam had an excellent time. So did we. There was a moment (while eating my dark chocolate chunk, bing cherry ice cream) when I looked up at my three kids sitting on the tractor, so content with their ice cream, smiling and laughing with each other, my husband on the bench beside me and I realized I was truly and completely happy. In that moment, there wasn't anything else. No bills, no money problems, no dirty house or laundry...just us. And I was content. Blissfully content.

It's the small things...I spend hours wishing we had the money to go on vacation, the money to pay all our bills, wishing I was a better mother, wishing, wishing, wishing... and sometimes I forget to be grateful for what is right in front of me. But of course, we had to come home. As soon as we step through the door, the kids are at each others throats and my husband's phone is ringing, his fire pager is beeping, the dog had pulled the loaf of bread off the counter and eaten it...

...but for a moment, it was all OK.

22 comments:

AmyLK said...

we have to cherish those moments in time when everything is perfect! So glad you got one!

Janie B said...

Thank goodness for those moments to cherish. Love that picture of the kids.

Homemaker Man said...

I feel that, sister. Nothing like some ice cream to make us stop and live in the moment.

And for the record, a trip like that is exactly what I would do for my own birthday, so kudos to Sam.

Nancy C said...

How funny! Today is my youngest's birthday (just turned two), and we celebrated with a tractor party. It's the little things.

And, like you said, finding those moments of contentment.

That one girl said...

Ha, yeah, we have YET to buy our kid a birthday present. We use that money for bills. Guess that won't last huh?

Your kids are CUTIES!!!

Two Normal Moms said...

Sometimes we have to grab those moments and treasure them!! They are a gift that reminds us why we do all the other stuff.

***Ally

Brian Miller said...

glad you got that moment..they sure are nice...smiles.

Aging Mommy said...

That sounds like a wonderful dairy. Lovely photo. Yes, those moments when you realize what it's all really about and are not stuck head in the sand of day to day existence, they are precious moments indeed. Getting out of the house and doing something fun I am finding is essential, for myself, my husband and daughter and it doesn't have to be anything fancy, just doing things we enjoy.

Glad Sam had a great birthday.

Amo said...

Those moments are so precious. Sometimes they are too far and in between. But, I love it when I have those moments. Your kids looked so happy with their ice cream! Happy Birthday to your little one!

Sharlene T. said...

What a beautiful day you had with your family on Sam's birthday... they really are so special and so fleeting... it's wonderful to live in an age when we can take pictures and share with others those precious moments... come visit when you can...

Twitter: SolarChief

Katie said...

Ice cream with your kids makes the world a happier place! No matter what!!

:-)

blueviolet said...

It sounds like it was more than ok!

Sarah said...

love this post! It helps remind us that it's the little stuff that counts! It's great to be thankful!

brainella said...

I have those same moments. Moments you never want to end. Makes it all worth while... :)

panamamama said...

So, so true! I always think the little things end up being the best memories. Like a walk in the park or a ride on the trolley to get snow cones... fun! LOVE that ice cream place. So cool.

purseblogger said...

That is so cool girl. I love it!

The Empress said...

they look so happy...you're giving them good memories...

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

Hahaha...the dog ate the loaf of bread? Never a dull moment but you have to admit, it's got to be funny.

I hope that Sam had a great birthday with his ice cream. That would've made me just as content and happy too.

偉林少菁林誠 said...

愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。......................................................................

Stephani said...

I love this post. It's so true how quickly we forget what is truly important. I'm glad you enjoyed your ice cream with your family. It IS in the small things that the kids will remember and treasure.

Willoughby said...

I blogged about simple pleasures a few days ago. They're the best, aren't they? It's amazing how often you find them if you really look. Like right now, my oldest and all of his friends have finally cleared out of my house (headed to an all day music fest), my daughter is still sleeping and my husband is at work. The house is quiet, I've got my coffee and the computer. Ahhhhhhhh....

Tracie said...

Sometimes those little moments come just when I need them! Glad he had a good birthday! Love the picture!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails