Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Happy, Happy Birthday Baby!

Two years ago today, Sam joined the family. He entered the world at 12:24pm after about two hours of labor. (Yeah, yeah, I know. Please don't hurt me.) After having the first two kids drug-free I decided that with Sam I would be drugged to the hilt. I wanted the epidural. I wanted two epidurals. I wanted to be so numb that I wouldn't be able to walk for a week. I didn't even want to know I was having a baby. So after my water broke and the contractions started getting bad, I requested the epidural. And then Sam came. And then the epidural kicked in.

At least I tried. I guess the good thing is that the labor was that fast. The bad thing was that it was too fast for pain relief. But either way, Samuel was coming out and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it.

And he wasn't really all that happy about it...but as time went on, he warmed up to it a bit.
Pretty soon, he was unstoppable.
Now I look at him and can't believe it's been two years. Two years. When I was little, two years was a lifetime. Now it passes in a blink of an eye. I try to remind myself how fast it's going by and how I need to savor each moment, how I need to hug them when I want to smack them. So I try to seize the moment and take pleasure in how Sam mimics the other two kids and learns something new every hour of every day. I laugh when he walks around the house looking for Delaney, calling "Laney? Honey? Laney?" and I try not to cry when he pulls the green tomatoes off the plants or squirts toothpaste all over the floor. It's only for so long. Before I know it, my baby will be all grown up and won't be hanging on my leg and crying to be held. He won't want to fall asleep on my lap and so I try and savor it. I look into his sleeping face and know that one day it will be covered with stubble and creased with wrinkles, but now, it's smooth and round and soft. And beautiful.

Love you, baby boy. Happy Birthday to you!

29 comments:

Jen said...

Awww, happy birthday to your boy!

Karen Mortensen said...

Happy Birthday to Sam. He is so cute. Enjoy him.

Titanium said...

Sending the very happiest of birthday wishes to your *adorable* little guy!

Tractor Mom said...

Happy Birthday to your baby boy! I have one that will be two in February! Ain't it amazing how fast they change and grow up!!

By the way, I didn't even have 1 hour of hard labor and my pain meds came 15 minutes after the baby was born! (Don't hurt me, please!)

Come by when you can...


www.frugaltractormom.blogspot.com

Willoughby said...

What a sweetie! Happy birthday, Sam!

You're right, it does go by in the blink of an eye. My sweet little guy is 17 and about to start his senior year of high school. It seems like only yesterday that he was two. If he fell asleep on my lap now, well, that would just be creepy.

3LittleMonkeys said...

Awww...so sweet! Happy 2nd Birthday, Sam!

Hope he likes his RC fire truck! I bought the same one for my youngest who turns 2 later this week!

Chari said...

so jealous of the 2 hours ;-) My Ethan will be 2 on Aug 16th! Very close in age.

Bethany @ Organic Enchilada said...

I think this is the purpose of birthdays - to remind us to slow down and enjoy our families and loved ones. What a cutie he is!

qandlequeen said...

Happy Birthday Sam!

You need to add this to my blog hop today - it's all about birthdays!

http://dementiawoman.blogspot.com/2010/07/birthday-party-blog-hop.html

Ed said...

Cute kid.

They grow up so fast.

My youngest turned 2 on July 2nd.

Tracie said...

Happy Birthday Sam! I love all the pictures! He's adorable!

Molly said...

the last photo made me sigh...they grow so friggin' fast! Happy Birthday to your little man!

lindsey said...

happy birthday little one!
your birth story sounds an awful lot like my last one.

Sharlene T. said...

Happy Birthday to your Sam... he's adorable... and, if you think two years pass quickly, try for 45!... it just goes soooo fast... enjoy making your memories... come visit when you can

Twitter: SolarChief

Aging Mommy said...

Happy Birthday to Sam! They just grow up so very fast. Hope you have a wonderful day celebrating.

Dazee Dreamer said...

Happy Birthday Sam. What a cutie!!! oops, I mean, what a handsome boy.

That One Mom said...

Awww, sweet, precious babies! You are truly blessed. Enjoy your baby's birthday and here's to many, many more.

That One Mom said...

Awww, sweet, precious babies! You are truly blessed. Enjoy your baby's birthday and here's to many, many more.

Erin said...

such a cutie patootie! happy birthday to him, and congrats to you, mama---you're doing a phenomenal job!

xoxo

Angela said...

love it! happy birthday!

Brian Miller said...

happy birthday to your baby! they grow up so fast!

panamamama said...

Such a sweetie! Happy Birthday, Sam!

Amo said...

I love that last picture of him crashed out on the couch! That is so cute! I need to remember those things too - my son is always wanting to be picked up and I don't always do it because I'm so pregnant, but I need to do it regardless. Like you said, someday he won't want to be picked up and I will miss these days.
Happy Birthday to your baby!

The Empress said...

oh, goodness, what a lovey!! happy birthday, sweet baby boy!!

It's so transparent, how much your mama loves you... to the moon and back.

AmyLK said...

Happy Birthday, Sam! So sweet! Love the last picture.

Bryna said...

That is so incredibly sweet!

Happy Birthday Sam!!!!

IASoupMama said...

Happy birthday to Sam! And Happy Birth-Day to mama! He is a darn cutie, there...

Janie B said...

He really is adorable! Happy Birthday, Little One!

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Samuel!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails