Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cuddly dinosaurs

Nick's "lovey" is a stuffed blue dinosaur that he's had since he was teeny, tiny. His name is "Cuddly Dine" and he pretty much goes every where with us.

The other night, we were driving home from my parents' house. It's about a 50 minute drive, it was late and the other two were asleep. But not Nick. He was talking. And talking. I always kind of look forward to the drive home from there...the kids are usually all asleep and I have almost an hour to listen to the radio and not have to talk. It's kind of blissful. But apparently, Nick wasn't tired.

We talked (or rather, he talked. I listen and say "uh-huh") about all kinds of things. Rockets, music, how he wished the car had a button we could push and out would come whatever kind of food he wanted. We got on the subject of Cuddly Dine, who of course, was with us.

"Cuddly Dine talks to me, but he always whispers. He only talks to people he knows," Nick tells me.
"He knows me," I said.
"I'll tell him he can talk to you," he says and starts whispering to his dinosaur. "OK, he will talk to you. You can ask him something."
"Hmmm...OK. What's his favorite song?"
"No one has ever asked him that!" he says. "I'll ask."
Talking to his stuffed animal...
"No! No! No! Talk in words," Nick tells him. A few moments pass.
Nick sighs, exasperated.
"I don't know. He's talking in Spanish. I can't understand him," he tells me. Apparently, Cuddly Dine interrupts him. "Oh! He says his favorite song is Spanish KidsBop."


Si, senor, si...

All this time, I had no idea the stuffed animals in this house were bilingual.

17 comments:

Brian Miller said...

sweet! wish my stuffed animals still talked to me...smiles.

When did I become my Mom said...

That is so adorable. Honestly... isn't childhood imagination just the best thing ever?

I think I'm going to make some time to just imagine with my kids tomorrow.

Inspired by you.

Mandy said...

Hahaha, so sweet!

Karen Mortensen said...

That was a very sweet storie. Great imagination he has.

KellyGrrl said...

That's hysterical! Kids are so stinking funny! :-)

Ed said...

Basically, you've hired an illegal alien as your child's cuddle buddy. Only, instead of being from Mexico, it's from Jurassic Park.

Nice.

The Empress said...

I love imagination at this age. Just adore it.

Firefly said...

That is adorable. I look forward to those quite drives home and lately Peanut has been talking my ear off.

Christie O. said...

LOL well at least there's that! By the way, my son walked up and saw the picture and asked if that was HIS friend. I told him to ask him Cuddly Dine himself, so he did. And yes, apparently he speaks through computers too. Talented little lovey you got there!

Aging Mommy said...

Oh just lovely! We are not bilingual but we do have talking feet and hands, all with their very own distinct personalities :-)

Joy said...

That is too cute! What an imagination :)

panamamama said...

Oh, I love it! Tell Sr. Cuddly Dine I said "hola!"

Sharlene T. said...

Hate to admit it, but I still have my 'friend' to share feelings and help me vent... but in my own tongue... your son has taken this to a whole new level... and a great way of getting out of having to answer your question!...very clever... come visit when you get a chance and check out my very first vlog...

Twitter: SolarChief

purseblogger said...

Oh girl, that is the cutest thing ever, seriously. What a sweetie! These stories just melt my heart. xoxo

blueviolet said...

I love that he had to correct him and redirect the way he was answering. Too funny and cute!

Amo said...

Very cute! I am trying to catch up on your blog! I like the new design! Looks great! My husband is hoping our son's Tigger doll speaks Japanese.

Sarah said...

Adorable! That is so cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails