Thursday, June 24, 2010

Candy and popcorn! Oh! And a movie, too!

Today I took Nick to the theater for the very first time. His attention span...is not, well, it doesn't span very far and so I'd put off doing it for a long time. I haven't even been in a theater in several years...I think the last movie I saw at the theater was the first Star Wars prequel. Yeah. It's been awhile.

So, today, my mom came over and watched the other two so Nick and I could go on a date to see "Toy Story 3." Since I'm cheap, I rejected the extra $5 to see it in 3-D and instead, frugally spent $20 on popcorn, pop and candy. (I went on a date once, where the guy smuggled in his own pop and candy. It would have been one thing if it had been drugs and alcohol. But candy and pop?  Killed the romance.)  Anyway, we were the first people there and Nick wanted to sit waaaayyyy in the back. He wanted the seats farthest to the left and back. I convince him it will be better if we are watching from the middle. So we trudge way to the back (but middle) and set up camp.
"Is that a speaker?" he asks, excitedly pointing at the wall.
"Yes," I say.
"Is that a speaker?"
"Yes."
"Is that a..."
"Yes! It's a speaker. They are all speakers."
 After about a million questions later, the movie finally starts. My son gets emotionally involved in whatever he is watching.  He feels what the characters feel, he gasps and shouts and argues with the characters. He shouts warnings and laughs really, really loudly. While I think it's adorable, I'm sure those sharing the theater with us did not. I did get him to talk to Buzz and Woody quietly, however, so that's a plus. He curled up into a little ball and covered his eyes during the trash part, but he had a good time and loved the movie. And the pop and candy and popcorn.


As we were leaving, I asked him if he had a good time.
"And you got to sit way in the back!" I add.
"Yep, it was fun. But that's not where I wanted to sit. I wish you hadn't been so difficult."

Yeah. I get that a lot.

24 comments:

Bethany @ Organic Enchilada said...

I love taking kids to the movies for the first time. It's so magical!

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

Awww, so Nick is a loud movie watcher. I'm sure he wasn't the only one in the theater doing that. I bet this made his day!

Moderate Means said...

I love the "Yes! They are all speakers!" because that is exactly how conversations go in my house. Laughed out loud :)

Stacy

Susan Fobes said...

Kids are funny! We saw this movie on Wednesday and loved it!

3StinkyBoysAndMe said...

I'm so excited because I'm taking my 3 year old to Toy Story 3 this weekend. Fun!

Sarah said...

I think it's so great when parents take their kids on a date! Cute Picture!

chele said...

What a great date. My son asked me to take him to see Toy Story as well. He's 19.

Bryna said...

Papa wants to take my daughter to a movie. Um, she's almost three and hasn't sat through and entire DVD as of yet.
I keep telling him it's a bad idea, but I think it's going to happen before I know it!

Mama Grits said...

Was it sad? I really want to see it but don't want to be sobbing over a bunch of toys. I get kinda emotional...

Karen Mortensen said...

Sounds like my kind of kid. I love watching movies like that. Talking to the screen and all.
Gald you guys had a wondeful time.

Aging Mommy said...

I have not yet taken my daughter to the movies but I think it is about time we tried, although like your son, she loves to commentate so we will have to try and sit far away from the crowds too!

Amo said...

I am looking forward to the day we can take our son to the movies for the first time. It will be a while since he is just turning two in August and he can't sit still longer than 30 seconds at a time. But still. Someday!

Sharlene T. said...

Too funny! Glad you had a great time...$20 for treats!...sure glad I never look when my gentleman caller pays...I'd feel terrible...

Twitter: SolarChief

Matty said...

I love his innocence. Getting so in tune with the characters is just cute.

RheaTurnbull雯俊 said...

生存乃是不斷地在內心與靈魂交戰;寫作是坐著審判自己。....................................................................

江婷 said...

一定要保持最佳狀況呦,加油!!!期待你發表的新文章!.................................................................

Salma said...

I do not take kiddies to the movies...that's hubby's job. He's a kid anyway. Sounds like fun though.

俊坤戴 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。....................................................................

Lizzie said...

Funny kid. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

HILARIOUS. Loved your ending. I'm difficult like that too. Sounds like a lot of fun. We went to see this movie this weekend too. I actually really enjoyed it! I was impressed for it being a 3quel and all. Your son is adorable, btw!! Love the popcorn shot. xoxoxox

Kristy said...

I just took Parker to the movies for the first time and it went great! It's so exciting! We get to go to the movies again!

JennyMac said...

"Yep, it was fun. But that's not where I wanted to sit. I wish you hadn't been so difficult."

HAHAHA...out of the mouths of kiddos. We took MiniMac to see it too. SO cute.

秋娥秋娥 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。............................................................

Nik said...

Can you believe how expensive the movies have gotten?? It's such a rip off now! I took the kids to see TS 3 and spent $35 for us to get in and $30 on food. It is ridiculous. The kiddos sure do have fun though don't they?

nikki
thehousewifechronicles.net

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails