Sunday, May 23, 2010

Waa, waa, waa...

For the past year, I've been taking a parent-tot dance class with Delaney. She's old enough to join the no parent-tot class, but she likes me with her, which I will admit, makes me feel pretty good. I'll cherish these moments while I have them. During class we stick our feet together with "peanut butter and jelly" to do butterfly stretches and we make invisible pizzas during the straddle stretch. We do an obstacle course. We do "Wheels on the Bus" with a parachute and I "waa waa waa" like the baby and I "beep beep beep" like the horn. I even lay on the floor under the parachute at the end of the song with the 3 other tots and moms in the class. And that's all well and good.

Then this weekend, we had the recital. All the tumbling classes put on a circus themed production for parents, assorted relatives, family and various strangers. The older kids did acrobatics and jumped through flaming hoops, the younger kids stuck their heads into the mouths of ferocious lions. It's a small town. That's just what we do here. But most terrifying of all? Delaney's group had to do "Wheels on the Bus". And I had to do it with her.

In front of a gymnasium of  people.

A lot of people.

I had to lay on the floor, with a parachute tucked under my chin like a blanket and pretend to cry like a baby.

In front of a gymnasium of people.

A lot of people.

Waa, waa, waa.

We were the opening act and I was far more nervous than Delaney was. I used to ditch class to avoid having to do an oral report. For days, if need be.  I remember once in high school I was called up to participate in a pep rally and I fled the bleachers in a panic and hid out in the locker room. On our honeymoon in Tahiti, my husband and I were watching a dance performance and when they made all the women there get out on the stage, I walked down with the rest of the ladies then veered right and hid in the bathrooms. My poor husband, who had yet to discover what a lunatic he had married, came to find me. He stayed with me and watched the rest of the performance from the bathroom entrance. All the nice Hula dancers thought I must be pregnant.

But I digress...unfortunately, none of the aforementioned evasive maneuvers were an option at the dance recital. So, I just did it. I just got up there and did it. Kids make you do things you never thought possible and it all starts the minute you shove them out of that impossibly small exit between your legs.

I may have done it, but I didn't enjoy it. And every time we stopped it seemed like my rear end was facing the audience. Of course.

"I tried to take pictures," said my mom, after the performance. "But all I got was your butt."

Lovely.
And on to something cuter...

Ain't she adorable? She had a blast and with any luck I hid my terror at being there and she will never have to know how truly unstable her mother is.

I can't wait until the next recital...

13 comments:

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

Delaney is adorable. Were you the only mom under the parachute?

You should get an A for feeling the fear and doing it anyway! Good for you!

Brian Miller said...

smiles. she is adorable...and it will be a memory she carries with her forever. good job mom

Stace said...

Good for you!! I understand your fear completely, used to ditch class if I had to get up and do an oral anything and still hate being the center of attention...which has pushed me to to try and make sure my kids aren't afraid. Delaney is so lucky to have a mom that will get up and do this kind of stuff with her and help her feel more comfortable being in the spotlight. *big pat on the back to you!*

Aging Mommy said...

Your daughter is beyond cute, she looks adorable and what a smile! Yes, the things we never imagine ourselves doing pre-Motherhood, just as well we don't know all this in advance or we might never make it to being a parent!

panamamama said...

Too cute! Too true about kids getting you to do stuff you wouldn't- but also bringing out fears you never thought you had. I wasn't scared of anything until I had kids. Now I'm paranoid! My daughter had her recital yesterday and I realized it was her 10th dance recital! I feel old.

brainella said...

First, that child is so friggin' cute I can't stand it.

Second, the things we do for our kids.

Third, you rock, Mom. :)

Kristy said...

Good job, Mom! The things we do for our kids, right?!

Erin said...

delaney is a doll and your butt is tiny and cute (i swear i'm not a lesbian)!!!

sounds like such a fun thing to do together...i need to see if there's something like that here.

Bossy Betty said...

Your little one is SO cute!!!! Good for you for doing this!

Lizzie said...

Brave soul, I think your behavior is perfectly rational. :)
Bless you for doing that with you daughter. The things they will never know.

JennyMac said...

Yes! She is totally adorable!

Unknown Mami said...

I am so very proud of you and you have a very cute butt.

Qoddess said...

You've been quoted

http://qoddessquotesblogs.blogspot.com/2010/06/quotes-june-5-2010.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails