Sunday, May 16, 2010

Kinderscares

As a huge fan of children's literature and horror novels, I have become enamored with Kinderscares. This blog has author interviews and entertaining reviews of your, shall we say...less traditional... books for kids. They've turned me on to books I didn't know existed for children.

And they were kind enough to do a guest post for me. So after reading here, I dare you to immediately run to the Kinderscares blog and read some more there. 

Unless you're too afraid...



Little known fact: for every kid who begs for a nice peaceful bedtime story, there’s a kid who wants a tale of things that go bump in the night.  Okay, maybe the ratio’s not quite 1:1, but there are some tiny monster-lovers out there!  We have one (and a second in training), and it’s been quite an adventure.  Our hard-won expertise in the realm of ‘scary’ children’s books begat KinderScares (I never thought I’d find an excuse to use the word ‘begat’ in a blog post - this is truly a momentous occasion!), a blog dedicated exclusively to horror in children’s literature.
Don’t think you’re in need of our expertise?  Not so fast!  Here are some clues you may be raising future horror fiends:
 1.  Your kid goes to sleep with a Jack Skellington nightlight (because who wouldn’t enjoy a glowing skull face plugged into the wall when they’re trying to sleep?)
2.   The little undead dudes from your Zombies!!! board game get played with more than Barbies.
3.   Every so often you turn around to find your one-year-old pushing a two-foot Frankenstein down the hall in a doll stroller.
4.  Your five-year-old’s most prized article of clothing is an Alice Cooper t-shirt (bonus points if he/she walks around creepily singing ‘Welcome to My Nightmare’ every so often).
5.  Edgar Allan Poe keeps mysteriously finagling his way into the bedtime reading pile (enough times that Daddy has declared a moratorium on The Bells.  No.  More.  Bells.).
6.  Along with “Cows say moo” and “Dogs say woof”, your toddler announces that “Zombies say BRAAAAAAINS!!!”
7.  Dracula is invited every time there’s a tea party, even though the jerk never shows up.
8.  You regularly find notes like this lying about the art area: 
That doesn’t happen to you?  Okay, maybe it’s just us.  But if you’re looking for some awesome children’s books - or even just a few laughs - we hope you’ll stop by KinderScares and say boo!  Not literally...although if this guest post begets (ha! got begat AND begets in there!) a pile of comments that just say ‘boo!’, I suppose I can live with that.
Last but certainly not least, a million thanks to the fantastic Peeling An Orange With A Screwdriver for having us, it’s been a blast!

No, no, thank you! It's been a pleasure!

12 comments:

Shell said...

Oh, that's hilarious! My oldest would be freaked out, but my younger two would probably think these were funny.

Juliana said...

That is funny, I am going to check out that blog. Hope you are doing well!

Aging Mommy said...

Oh my, how hilarious, your children are indeed freaky scary story loving types. My three year old daughter I'm afraid takes after me, she likes happy bunny story endings about sweet fluffy kind looking creatures.

Brian Miller said...

that is way cool...off to check it out...

Tracie said...

I'm going to check out this blog. Unfortunately, we are a mixed house. My oldest loves this kind of thing but my youngest is scared of his own shadow.

mudmama said...

fun!

Fortuitous Photography said...

SO AWESOME! Wish someone had told my mom this when I was a kid. though, she definitely didn't fight me on it. She'd let me stay up late into the night to watch my scary movies because my lil sis and lil'bro couldn't handle the horrors! gave them nightmares and gave me wonderment!

Amo said...

I have been following this blog for a few months now and I really love it. I'm always looking for fun books to get my son. It is such a creative theme for a blog. Glad you like it too!

panamamama said...

Funny site! My nephews would LOOOVE it! I have to tell my brother NOW. My kids get freaked out about stuff they won't admit and are up all night with nightmares (like their mom.) My brother's kids are watching zombie movies and laughing while mine are freaking out over Godzilla. :)

Kristy said...

I'll have to check that out! I work at a school, and we're always trying to find lots of ways to motivate all kids to read.

Dawn said...

My older kids loved the Goosebumps books as bed time stories... they now love Freddie and Jason and Michael Myers... of course they do. And all because the little ghouls liked scary stories! One of the faves was Little Monsters with Howie Mandel... a cute movie but scary for little kids.

Don Juan Quixote said...

My kids LOVE scary movies, books, whatever!! I know the #1 thing at movie stores that sells is scary movies as well. I think it's fun for kids to use their imagination and get a little scared...and I think it takes a good parenting for that type of child also...one that explains that it's just a book or movie and always lets them know they are loved and protected. My youngest are 10 and 13 now, and they demand scary movies on movie night....it's just hard to find PG movies in that genre.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails