Friday, May 7, 2010

Flashback Friday: Prom 1994

16 years ago today, I was getting ready for senior Prom. It almost hurts to say that. 16 years. 16 YEARS. Maybe I figured that wrong. That can't be right...let's see...1994 to 2010. That's only like...oh, 16 years. Hmmm. Anyway, Prom. It's a big deal when you're 17, even for someone who didn't like school dances, like me. I liked the idea of dressing up all fancy-like, and going out to dinner with my handsome boyfriend, who also happened to be celebrating his birthday that day which is why I remember the exact date. (Happy Birthday, K. I'll be thinking of you today.) I had the perfect dress, the perfect sparkly jewelry... We had dinner at the Greenbriar Inn in Boulder, where I had a rather revolting dessert that involved feta cheese. Then we headed to his Prom. We walked in, had our pictures taken, turned around and walked back out to his car. Then we drove. We headed up the hill and drove around the back roads. We stopped and may have made out a bit. I'm not admitting to anything. We drove around some more. We laughed and talked.We drove around. We might have made out some more. Until about 4 am.  All in all, it was a successful Prom, without any of that actual "Prom" nonsense.

A few weeks ago, my mom gave me a stack of pictures that she had taken that night.

Photobucket

And here I am, with my date (whose identity has been concealed so that he may maintain his International Man of Mystery persona. I wouldn't want to compromise his cover.) I'm pleased to say that I can look at this picture without cringing. The hair could use some help, but my dress really isn't that dated. My husband went to Prom in the late 80s and his date's dress is a monstrous, pastel confection of ribbons and bows, lace, ruffles, poufs and unnecessary bits of fabric. And her hair! Tee hee hee. Snicker. But anyway, I wouldn't sink so low as to make fun of someone for their poor hair or clothing choices. I'm above making fun of others. Ahem.

I had flipped through the remaining pictures and found one of my dad, in his underwear sitting at the counter with a chisel.

"Um. Mom?" I ask. "I don't think this one should be in here."

"Oh, yes it should," she said. "That was taken that night at about 3 am. You still weren't home so your dad decided to get up and re-grout the kitchen counter."

Oh.

This terrifies me. I know what teenage girls and boys do. Before I know it, I will be the one sitting up all night, hopefully not re-grouting anything, but worrying, just the same. Sitting up at night while my babies are out on dates with members of the opposite sex (or of the same, I guess time will tell.). Kissing and...other stuff. 

Chastity belts are sounding better and better. And what about the boys? Do they have something for them? Penis...inhibitors... or something. Hmm. Might have to look into that.


35 comments:

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

Scary thoughts, huh? Well at least you can say that you had fun but I'm sure your dad didn't. That's hilarious that he was was working on the grout while you were making out with the prom date.

The Empress said...

Oh, why'd you make me think that? I don't want to think that...

Lunhatikk said...

*frets* need you remind me, my son is only 3 years away from becoming a teenager and 6 before he's the one driving girls around in cars until all hours of the night! eeeeek!

Brian Miller said...

if you are cleaning the shotgun when he picks up your daughter...its pretty much a great inhibitor...

Tropical Mum said...

Pink taffeta with poofy shoulders and french braids. What was I thinking?

The night of the grad ceremony was much better with the hair down and no taffeta in sight and the captain of the football team--dumb as a post, but very easy on the eyes.

Love the pic.

Shelly

Dazee Dreamer said...

Penis inhibitors. lmao

Kinderscares said...

Decided to get up a regrout the kitchen counter? Priceless! LOL!

Shell said...

You are adorable!

I'm jealous that you have a non-embarrassing prom pic!

Kelli said...

If you find something for boys please let me know... I'm in a cold sweat over the idea already (mine is 11) I don't think my conversations about the world being a big place and tying himself down before he lives his life are going to do it on their own...

Maggie S said...

Ah, prom. I hope my kids are braver than I was and say...why would I waste an evening I could spend trimming my toenails and watching Dallas.

Tom and Karen Mortensen said...

You look great. You should see my prom picture. (1976) White lace over red satin. Lovely.

Supermanslady said...

Didn't do prom myself...have regrets about that!

Lol...inhibitors...yep...I could use 6 of those...6 boys in our family...As fertile as me & my husband have been through the years...I definitely don't want them to be doing ANYTHING on their prom nights!!!

chele said...

I went to my prom 28 years ago! My daughter will be going in 2 years. Ugh.

Tractor Mom said...

Prom was the only time that my parents gave me a curfew! I had to be IN THE HOUSE by 11:00. Any other time, I would be in a 2 or 3 in the morning! Before we left, my dad told my date that he was getting ready to go hunting--problem is, my dad didn't hunt!!

www.frugaltractormom.blogspot.com

IASoupMama said...

Oh, man -- I realized the other day as I was taking my son to school and looking at his male classmates that some of these boys would try to date my daughter -- you know, when she's older than two-and-a-half. That was enough to make me want to get to know ALL of them. Immediately.

Matty said...

You look so cute there, and so young. Something tells me your memory is better than you let on. Ahem.

That is just too funny about your dad. LMAO>

Aging Mommy said...

Great post - the image of your Dad grouting at 3am in the morning is just classic. My husband has already informed me that when our three year old daughter starts dating he intends on following her on each and every date, and greeting her suitors at the door wielding a shot gun (he has never owned a gun and never even been near one in his life I have to add)

Wishing you a wonderful Mothers Day

Amber Page Writes said...

My prom was 17 years ago. 17! Damn I'm old...I was just looking at them this week, too. I'm proud to say my hair and dress are both acceptable...

Sharlene T. said...

My prom was...so long ago that I had to keep going outside to feed the dinosaurs...and, of course, the dress was one you couldn't (or, wouldn't) possibly wear for any other occasion...thanks for the memories and sharing...come visit when you can...

Amo said...

My senior prom was in 1992. I had a gigantic spiral perm and my dress was gold, short, tight, with puffy black sleeves. Ack! So horrendous. But, my sophmore and junior prom dresses and hairstyles were worse. One dress was peach and the other was shiny turquoise. Yikes! And I had baby's breath in my hair for my junior prom. Ugh. But I had a lot of fun!!

panamamama said...

We didn't get a prom because they evacuated most kids due to the invasion in Panama (1989) YES I'M OLD! Hey, if you find out about those penis inhibitors will you let me know?

Christy said...

Oh my, I love this! Haha.

Man, I can't believe that it has already been seven years for me. My friends and I still to this day talk about our crazy prom night shenanigans. Good times...

I just shared your blog on a recent post "Happy 101"

Dawn said...

Well, let's see...

My prom was 26 years ago Memorial Day weekend... and in 1984 Scarlett O'Hara style dresses were in fashion.
Poofy sleeves that were off the shoulder, big bell-like skirts with crinolines and HUGE bows that tied just over your rear... like the ginormous crinoline and ruffles on the skirt didn't make it big enough back there?
What were we thinking? Oh yeah, we were only 17/18, by definition no thinking was going on, ever.
Thinking ability kicks in somewhere around college graduation.

BokHaile8854 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Molly said...

Holy. Cow. In his underwear???

My 20 year reunion is coming up in October. I just saw a book the other day called the Reuion Diet...I may have to buy it.

Sarah at The Stroller Ballet said...

Love the pictures. And the story. I am not looking forward to the day when I sit up waiting for my daughter. Yikes!

Erin said...

My senior prom was also in May of 1994, but I don't remember the exact date...I should post some pics or something. You look lovely, and I'm glad you are pleased with the photo b/c it's adorable!

Love how you stopped here and there to make out. So funny! ANd your dad regrouting the kitchen...love it!

I have twin girls and I know as a result will have many sleepless nights myself. Ugh!

p.s. Happy belated Mother's Day!

Angie Muresan said...

You crack me up. You really do. Penis inhibitors, indeed!

Angie said...

You are hysterical! Oh, the prom memories this brought back! You should post the pic of your dad with the chisel. That's awesome.

I'm grabbing your button and following. Can't wait to read the rest of your blog!

Organic Motherhood with Cool Whip said...

Brilliance!! Pure brilliance. It's hard to imagine that one day I'll be the one sitting in my underwear on the couch holding a chisel in the middle of the night while my boys make out with their respective prom dates...but I know that day is actually much closer than I realize...

Kristy said...

I went to my senior prom in 1994 as well! I must say you really do look better than I did. Your dress is pretty and not the scary, over-laced, navy blue looking curtains I wore! Ugh!

Cold As Heaven said...

I have a 16 yo boy now, and I know what he's doing, running around with his buddies and his girl ... therefore I always stay up till he comes in, even though it means 1 am or 2 am in the weekends. It's preventive .

Loves books .. hates laundry >:)

Cold As Heaven

Jenni @DrMomEssentials said...

Great points to ponder! Thanks, Dawn for the comment you left me on MBC a few months ago, and I'm finally following up on your invitation to read your blog. It's really fun! And yes, my 13 year old son is getting closer to dating age than seems possible. There's still so many things I need to teach him. Thanks for helping me look ahead :)

CRAZYMOM said...

I am imagining what might have happened if you came in with a date to your dad grouting in his undies. ROFL

Big said...

OMG - so funny! My son is only in 4th grade and the girl-boy stuff has already started. I'm so scared! I hope he's not like me!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails