Wednesday, February 3, 2010

That Great Dog of Destiny

Yesterday was one of those days when I wonder if the universe somehow lost my life map...if the great dog of destiny ate it and I wasn't supposed to be a mom at all.

I was supposed to be a mechanic. A nice, non-stressed out mechanic whose charges are metal and grease and if you get really pissed at them, you can kick them and no one cares.

I can't kick my kids. ARGH! God, I wanted to. Actually I wanted to get in my car and drive far, far away. I went outside at one point, just to get some air and I could hear them screaming through the door. All three of them. It's usually one. Two at the most, but today all three of them were in on it. Screaming and crying and whining. And fighting. Over everything. Who had the most bubbles in the bath tub, who got their banana first, who got the blue cup, who had more milk in said cup...they were making me insane. I don't know where I was when sweet little Delaney was kidnapped and replaced with the tiny diva that lives here now.

Photobucket

"You need to get dressed, get your pants on. We have to leave."
"No. You do it."
"You can put your own pants on."
"No. I hate them."
"Then go pick out some other ones. Get your shoes and coat. Come on, we're late."
"No. I don't want to wear a coat."
"There's snow on the ground."
"I DON'T CARE! I want to wear wings!" How about horns?


Then there's my six year old...He looks innocent, but really should come with a warning label.

Photobucket

"Sight" words are not the only new words he's been learning in kindergarten. I'm so glad he's in public school.

And this little guy...

Photobucket

He tries so hard to be good. But the other two are teaching him everything they know. And apparently they're gifted teachers.

I don't have a favorite kid, but I do have a favorite age and it's not 6, 3 or 18 months. Maybe 7, 4 and 2 will work out better for me...

27 comments:

SMJ said...

I LOVE your honesty - and you know what? I have totally felt that way a million times over the years. And I might even feel that way tonight when I get home if I find that no one did chores.
So guess what? I left you a little sunshine award over at my place, come by & pick it up & enjoy!http://www.sweetmamajones.com/2010/02/its-sunshiney-day.html

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

I hate to tell ya, 9 isn't a peach either.

We'd all be perfect moms if it weren't for our kids ;)

Matty said...

My goodness, I feel for you. Having raised three children and the been there, done that routine, I can attest that it does get better. Patience my dear. Patience.

Robyn{Lee} said...

Oh goodness! I love your pics of the kiddos, and could totally picture it all. Been there, done that. (and it's not ok to kick the kids?!... COME on! : ) Just teasing).

I think it's just ONE of THOSE weeks. My kids have been crazy too (I walked my daughter out of dance class & took her home because she threw a fit... she NEVER does that!), and my girlfriends kids too. (There was a full moon on Saturday... a little late for craziness but it's a thought).

You're doing great. Just breathe, and theres no shame in taking a time out for YOU. It's great that you went outside. I used to sit in our hallway, crying on the phone to my husband (who used to commute 97 miles ONE way to work so I was all alone), saying I didn't know how to do it!!

I still don't all the time, but I think it gets easier (my kids ages are almost 12, 9, 5 and almost 1). It DOES get better!

(HUGS!) : )

Neva said...

For being so supa dupa I gave you an award!

Willoughby said...

Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry you had a bad day! I probably shouldn't tell you what happens to them when they become teens (and slide their cars off icy roads, snapping road signs in two before coming to a stop or how they use "pimp my google" to change the google settings on the school computers which the principal doesn't find amusing). After they go to bed, pour yourself a big glass of wine. I hope you have a better day tomorrow!

Just Breathe said...

That is too funny! Cute pictures.
I remember those days.

3LittleMonkeys said...

Haha...I think we are feeling the same way! I've often thought of buying a punching bag and taking my frustrations out on that! I hope tomorrow is better for you.

Shannon said...

Been there sweetie, a lot! Tomorrow will be better. Hang in there!

SamiJoe said...

http://peekthruourwindow.blogspot.com/2010/02/some-awarded-bliss.html

Pop in, i have some award love for you!

Toddler Knows Best said...

can I come over to play? this house really sounds like fun. and I've been wanting to learn a few choice words myself...

Homemaker Man said...

It's amazing how cute evil can be.

Running outside and yelling and swearing is the exact right thing to do. I heard it on NPR.

Flory said...

I've felt that way many times. Sounds like you need to time for yourself. That flashing skull head is hilarious. :)

Daffy said...

The photo additions were great...I don't mean to laugh because God knows I'm in for some rough times myself....but really....your love for them shines through each word of the post.

How about some horns????

*sorry* I'm laughing again....

Tracie said...

I had one of those days today. And mine were in school till 4.

Em Static said...

I've had the urge to kick a kid before... None of them were mine, though. :/

Seriously, though. Hang in there. They go to sleep eventually. :)

The Wifey said...

Sounds like hell on wheels! Keep yourself armored and you'll be fine!

mudmama said...

You are so funny! They are adorable, but, yeah ... sometimes mama needs a break!!

Erin said...

I love this post. You said everything that I've been feeling, especially lately. I just think about getting in my car & driving away. Or opening a bottle of wine at 11 a.m. LOL!

Thank you for being so honest and telling it like it is---we mommies are bowing at your feet!

Buckeroomama said...

I've had days like these. :)

Tina said...

awe...first let me confirm with children 18,15,13 and 9...sh*t does roll down hill, really. My 9yo does and says things the others would have NEVER done at his age...their teenage behavior has been rubbing off for a few years now...AND let me also confirm and confess..I've had some not-so-proud-mommy-moments. Really, its life! Do not be to hard on yourself, unless your really are putting chardonnay in their sippy cups.

The Peach Tart said...

Oh baby you've got your hands full. You need a sitter and a girl's night out. Or at least some quite time and a bubble bath.

Existential Waitress said...

I'm sorry that you had a day like this but THANK YOU for posting this b/c my kids are driving me INSANE too!!! I have a 6 and 4 year-old and their incessant bickering makes me wanna jump through a window. And my son has become so obnoxious I pray DAILY that this is just a phase and not his true personality finally revealing itself.

The photos are awesome.

Susan Fobes said...

Your kids are too cute-now how could anyone that cute cause such problems? I know, but I just had to throw that line in! LOL! Good luck mom...

Holly said...

Your kiddos are very cute. Don't all kids have a little "devilish" side. I am not sure it gets better with age...just changes (sorry!).

Angie Muresan said...

Hmm... I don't know if any age is better. Maybe 18? Not there yet, so I can't tell you. But I can tell you that your kids are super duper adorable! :)

Christie O. said...

HAHAHA! you're so funny. Yet again, conversations that I have heard in my house. Sometimes I wish I could get a trade-in or two.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails