Monday, February 1, 2010

Monday Minutiae

I am currently on Vicodin for a fractured rib. Apparently having a fractured rib makes it difficult to laugh, blow your nose, do the bunny hop in your daughter's dance class, carry children, reach into the washing machine (good excuse, yes?) and well, breath. It also requires one to get creative while engaging in intimacies with one's husband.

"How do you fracture a rib and not know it??" my husband asked.

The same reason the toenail on my big toe is bruised and falling off. I have no idea. I don't have time for pain. If I stub my toe, I can't sit down and cry and roll around on the floor, holding my foot like I'd like to. I probably stubbed it while rushing into the kitchen to remove the baby from the knife drawer and any pausing on my part may result in disaster. By then, I've forgotten about it, because I now have to rush into the bathroom before my daughter tries to wipe herself. And then the someone knocks on the door and I realize it's the Schwan's girl and I really, REALLY need ice cream. Then the phone rings. And so on and so forth. I figure the same thing applies to my rib. Either that or my husband kicked me when I was asleep.

My husband and I just finished billing for his hours for the past two weeks. A mere 162 hours in 15 days. Yeah. 162 HOURS IN 2 WEEKS!! I try not to complain. Fortunately, it is a job and he does get paid. Unfortunately, he doesn't get paid for overtime. And that's a helluva lotta hours. It makes family time...difficult. Last month he had 288 hours. I try not to complain.

But I frickin' hate his job.

Anyway...

Today is my little brother's 31st birthday.
Born with a collapsed lung, he then developed a staff infection and after a lengthy hospital stay, he was able to come home. But he's never been normal...*snicker* (Kidding Andy, just kidding) He is one of my favorite people and would be, even if he were not my brother. He's one of my best friends, and someone I can always go to when I need to talk. I could call him at four in the morning and I know he'd be there. My kids adore him; he is the perfect uncle. He lets them drink pop, play violent games and eat candy. (Revenge is sweet, brother...just wait until you have kids!)

Happy Birthday kid! I love ya! And now I'm off...I have a cake to bake!

32 comments:

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

I have seen my dad with a fractured rib....it looks painful. I hope the vicodin helps and you get lots and lots of help from your husband. Feel better!!

June said...

Good of you to find time to bake a cake while recovering from a fractured rib! You are a great sister!!

Shell said...

Ouch! Try to rest(I know- yeah right!)

Happy birthday to your baby bro!

Alice in Wonderland said...

I have had broken ribs before, and I was taking pain killers and told to cough every ten minutes or so!
The pain was just about bearable, but I couldn't lie down in bed for weeks!
I hope you get well soon!
Thoughts are with you, big, soft hugs!

Janie B said...

OOohhh! ((Hugs)) for the cracked rib. Hope you feel better ASAP!

Toddler Knows Best said...

can you share some of that Vicodin? I had some furniture run into my face earlier today.

Angie Muresan said...

Oh, and he is cute too! Happy Birthday to your brother! What did you say your husband did? I cannot imagine someone working so many hours and not getting paid overtime.
Hope you feel better soon. Enjoy that Vicodin while you're on it. You might not be able to get a refill so easily.

Joshua said...

I feel your pain. I have a rib on the left side that likes to dislocate and relocate itself at will. Makes breathing so much fun.

Joshua said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown Mami said...

I'm so sorry about your fractured rib. I can't believe you don't know how you got it.

Happy Birthday to your wonderful brother.

cookinglady said...

Your like me If I hurt I keep going cause I have no time to wimper about it. Some how, I hurt my food come to find out I had to have screws put in so the tendons could fuse back together. They said my food looked like a car ran over it. Go figure LOL

I a new Friday Follower and I just love your blog. Hope you can follow me too.

Get some rest.

Buckeroomama said...

I know of Vicodin from watching House (!). I hope you feel better soon, sweetie.

Marla said...

I love your blog! Get well soon!!

Erin said...

A fractured rib sounds like torture but perhaps a nice way to avoid certain, um, things? I hope you won't need the Vicodin forever....

And Happy Birthday to your brother!!! I'll be right over for cake!

Jen said...

Ooohh, sounds awful! Although I have to admit that not being able to reach into the washing machine might be fun...for a day or two!

You're not getting enough family time at your house and we have too much right now. God help us all!

Hope you feel better soon,

Deb said...

oh man, you need to take it EASY! doctor's orders (even tho i am not a dr, i would imagine a dr would insist!).

you are so lucky to have a great relationship with your brother.

My name is PJ. said...

My dad fell and broke three ribs. He was in pain for quite a while! I hope you feel better soon.

Sorry about all those hours your husband worked. I know what it's like when they work all the time and you're running the home show alone. Just remember, this is a chapter, not the whole book!

Your younger brother is so cute. I could be his mother! He reminds me of my youngest brother. HOpe his birthday was happy.

Flory said...

I hope you're feeling better. I know of a fried who fractured her rib from coughing so much. Sounds crazy...

Happy birthday to your brother! :)

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

You poor thing! Get some rest (hahaha); mmmm, Vicodin.

And Happy (late) Birthday to your brother!!

Queen Beth said...

Will an award from moi make you feel better? :)

suzicate said...

Ouch...that sounds like it hurts...you probably did it while tending to someone else's needs.Since you're baking your brother a cake, I think he should take the kids for a while and let you rest...sounds like a fair deal!

Ed Adams said...

Way to milk that broken rib.

Happy B-Day to your Bro!

Meagan@Megs7827 said...

Check my blog tomorrow for something special for you!

Ali (OneChicMommy) said...

Ouch.. fractured rib. I hope the vicodin is working well for you! Happy B-day to your little bro, my twin sisters B-day was yesterday also.
I would say relax and get some rest but as a fellow mother of 3 I know that is impossible.

Willoughby said...

A broken rib sounds painful! I've never had one, but I tore an abdominal muscle a while back and coughing hurt like hell! I hope the vicodin is making you more comfortable.

Happy Birthday to your little bro!

blueviolet said...

A broken rib? I don't think you should have to do anything at all!!! Make everyone wait on you for a change! Your bro sounds terrific!

Mrsblogalot said...

You poor thing!! Bruised and baking...what a girl you are.

Give a big hug to your little brother from the blog world!

Tiffany said...

that whole rib thing sounds painful...like just giving birth then suddenly having to sneeze and feeling like you're about to blow the stitches in your vag apart...

in other words, ouch.

hope you're better soon.

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Hope you are feeling better soon!!

Sarah said...

Hope you are feeling better soon! I am always injuring myself. Happy birthday to your bro!!

Tina said...

I am glad you stopped over! I'll watch for you more often. Hope your rib gets better...makes my cold/flu seems not-so-bad.

Heidi said...

Oh no, that sucks about your rib. :(

I stopped by today care of sits and have just lost a couple of hours reading through your blog! I love it. Then I found your link to how not to write a book and am quite sure I should just through todays task list out the window!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails