Saturday, January 30, 2010

The anxiously awaited Part II

For 1-5 go here.

And now on to Part II:

6. Alone time...Of course I love my family and my children (yes, really) but I'm with my kids 24 HOURS A DAY. I share a bed with no less than one on any given night. I haven't peed by myself in about 6 years. I take showers with small people clustered around my feet. I've developed a contortion method of rinsing shampoo out of my hair to avoid getting soap in their little eyes. So, when I have a few minutes, or hours ALONE, it is quite wonderful. Nirvana. It doesn't happen very often due to my husband's erratic work hours, but when I does, I feel like a kid in Disneyland. I've been known to nap. Yes. I know. Sinful. I also eat ice cream, blog without guilt, write, read...oh, the bliss!

7. Shopping...but not just general shopping. I love shoes and coats. It's possible that I'm a bit obsessed with both. And I don't know why. Otherwise I am a reasonably intelligent person but I get stupid when faced with these items. Yes, I know I already have over 100 pairs of shoes, "But oh god!," I'll think. "I have to have these!" And this coat? It will be mine. It will keep the other several dozen company...I harass my husband for his addiction to knives and work gloves, but I really have no place to talk. At least work gloves are for work. Knives cut things. Peep toe heels + stay at home mom? Not quite so useful. And I don't care about brands or who makes what. If I like them and can afford them, I buy them. I am an equal opportunity purchaser.
My current favorite...a gift from my husband.

A friend from Guam gave me this one.
This one supposedly belonged to one of the first female doctors in the Denver area in the late 1800s. Not sure if that's true or not, but I love it.

8. Books. Books make me very happy. New books, old books, middle aged books...they're all beautiful. I have my grandpa's collection of books. I love the smell, the way they feel in my hands, the many stories and characters that each one contains. The glimpse into the author's personality. I could spend hours and hours in a bookstore. My favorite book, I have to admit, is not very literary or intellectual and it's not on the 100 must-read-book list, but it was so inspiring to me. I read it at least once a year. The imagination, the concept, the writing; "Weaveworld" by Clive Barker. Actually I love everything by him. I've read a lot of good books in my life, but that one will always be on the top of my 100 must-read list. I also love "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Good stuff.
My reading corner. You know...when I actually get a chance to read a book without pictures.

9. Traveling. I love to travel. Admittedly, I haven't gone that many places. I've only left the country twice, once to Mexico and once for Tahiti. And I think I've only visited about half of the states here, but every time I get the chance to go somewhere, I love it. Even overnight stays close to home are wonderful. I'm never ready to come back home. I think I could easily be one of those people that could travel for months at a time. I don't seem to get homesick. I have so many places that I want to see. Starting with Egypt. ( I also have a bit of a fascination with history and archeology.) Ah...someday.

And finally...

10. Blogging! Obviously, I like the writing aspect, but I've discovered that I love the interaction with other people as well. I love comments. And that's putting it mildly. I LOVE COMMENTS! There. That's better. I love email. (Actually, I love regular mail, too. Is there anything better than getting a letter?) I love all the connections I'm making. I love you! I love reading other people's blogs and knowing that I'm not alone in my day to day insanity. There are some of you out there that are even more insane than I am. And that's comforting. Things I'm reluctant to talk about in real life, like my depression and the hard parenting days, I can write about here and the support I receive is stunning. Thank you for that. And I think I've said it before and I'll admit it's a bit Hallmark-ish, but blogging makes the world a lot smaller and a heck of a lot friendlier.

And there you have it. I'm not going to tag anyone else but if you haven't done the 10 Things thing yet, then go for it! It's fun. I thought it would be hard at first, but now I think I could easily keep going. I guess that makes me a lucky girl.

39 comments:

Queen Beth said...

Hi there! Here from Friday Follow...on Saturday! I love your style of clothing. I look forward to reading more of you!!

Oh yes, the title of your blog drew me like a magnet! I love blogs with creative names! It's great!

Susan Fobes said...

Alone time is prescious. I was actually all alone for a couple hours last weekend, and I didn't know what to do with myself! Great list.

Shell said...

I, too, love books. I don't know if I can ever go to a kindle b/c I like the actual weight of a book in my hand.

I will be adding your fav book to my tbr list!

Mandy said...

I LOVE those shoes! They are so adorable!

Daffy said...

Man...shoes and coats! I really hated to give up my shoe obession. It required that my wardrobe be up to date as to shoecase the shoes...sadly I just can't afford that anymore...booo....I do have a small coat addiction. I'm slowly growing my collection even though this winter I've nearly every day grabbed my NorthFace goto coat. It's been stupid cold....

I'm also super jealous not only of your book collection but that you've such a beautiful way to keep them. Guess I'm just one big glob of green...with envy....you are lucky *smile*. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Alice in Wonderland said...

I love that black coat! Black is so classy and I have loads of black clothes. I recently bought a gorgeous dark brown shoulder bag, but I have nothing to match it...so I'm going to have to do some more retail therapy!
I was tagged three times in the last two weeks, but I've still not got around to doing it yet!
I loved this post, in fact, I just love reading about other people!

Amber Page Writes said...

I firmly believe that a girl can never have too many coats. Or shoes...but especially coats. One of the things motivating me to lose weight is so I can fit in my cute pink checked raincoat again...

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

I love all of those things, too! Especially shoes. And can you believe, my husband does too? He probably has more than I do!

Andrea (ace1028) said...

Are those actually YOUR shoes? If so, man, they're cool, and you are uber-cool, mama! I'm amazed that you can wear such a heel! Holy! And I am EXTREMELY jealous of your reading corner. There are not enough words to express this.

Angie Muresan said...

Are you kidding? We are related! The Shadow of the Wind, my fave book. Over 100 pairs of shoes line my closet's shelves. And coats? I have 14 of them!

Maven said...

I really enjoyed reading this - it was a great way to get to know you better!!

r u s s said...

I would love to see your shoe collection.Ü And you have a nice reading corner, would definitely like to have one in my house. ☮.♥.☆

Noelle said...

i LOVE the white coat with the embroidery on it! gorgeous! and your reading corner is divine. i don't know if i would get any reading done there, though. i think i would be consumed by that yummy chair and drift into a blissful slumber. that would take care of the napping and quiet time all at once.

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

We have some of the same likes although I like shoes, I don't have 100 pairs. I do love your coats, especially the black one made in the 1800's. It is gorgeous.

I also love, love, love reading. I try to read a bit before I go to bed each night. Even if it's just a chapter, I'm content.

Looks like you've got some traveling to do. You can start by heading out to Southern California! I'd love to hang out with you!

mudmama said...

you ARE a lucky girl!!! great list, really enjoyed it :)

Fortuitous Photography said...

Wow! another great post! I will have to copy and do this too. I think it's a great kind of "mental dusting" if you will. Dust off those things we think about, but don't voice too regularly that remind us about what makes you happy. Seems obvious...but, when you vocalize it and put into the universe, it seems so much more real and even more gratifying. beyond that, I have to agree thoroughly with your loves for traveling, reading, collecting coats and shoes. Cliche for many women I realize. But, as you heard me announce many times in your home last week...I LOVE YOUR STYLE!! I love the classicness of it all! Makes me wish I would have kept some of my old things. But, also, I miss my books...I have tons & tons & tons of books (worse yet, I used to work in a bookstore for years. It's like having drug user in a pharmacy!!). I brought home books nightly. They're currently all boxed away in our garage as I haven't any place to put them. so, I miss having them around me so, so much! I aspire to have a reading nook as you do. :D Oh and coats and jackets...don't know why I have a fetish for them. But, many of my faves no longer fit since the weight loss. NOT COMPLAINING...happy to have lost the weight. but, I am fearful of parting with my dearest coats that I always felt expressed me so well and most are so unique and not replaceable...what to do? Shoes...I don't do heels n'such. but, I am a huge DOc Martens fan and I think I have about 20 pairs of those. They bring me so much joy and peace...at least, that's how I justify it to my husband when the need to purchase another pair arises. anyway...sorry to blather. I just loved and connected with so much of this post, I had to pour on about it all. Thanks for allowing me!

June said...

I love coats! The black vintage one is absolutely beautiful.

I have a small collection of vintage coats that I enjoy wearing when the occasion arises.

Books are a blessing and I will be checking out the two favs you listed.

Great post!!

suzicate said...

"an equal orrportunity purchaser" - I love that!

Matty said...

I have to laugh at the shower scene. I'm sure you have things down to a science there. And although it's been a long time, I can remember having "company" on the toilet too.

Brian Miller said...

great list...we share all, exceot shopping...it totally stresses me out. gimme a bood book and a cup of coffee any day.

The Waylaid Wordsmith said...

Alone time? What is this thing of which you speak? I don't remember the last time I was alone.

LOVE the black coat! And seriously...I love shoes too, but 100 pairs? Wow! I know...why don't you move next door. I'll babysit your kids once in a while so you can shower alone, and in return I get to borrow your awesome accessories.

You know you wanna!

Carri said...

I loved reading part 1 and 2 of this post. I am probably one of the more insane so I am happy to make you feel better LOL. Heck if you cant beat them join them and now I dont mean beating with fists most of the time. I have enjoyed learning 10 things about you and I too have a shoe obsession and bags ugh cant get enough of them.

Juliana said...

I loved reading this! We have a lot in common and we love you right back. It is so funny that one of our favorite things is bloggy comments!!!! Hope you had a good weekend sweets

Erin said...

I meant to tell you in my email...that I am starting Wellbutrin. And Hubs has asked me not to blog about it. Or my depression. Which I think is also why he didn't like my last vlog. We'll see. I'm not keen on hiding who I am just because he's afraid of who might read it or what they might think. I pride myself on being honest & real. And those are some of the qualities I admire in you, my dear!

p.s. I always shower with lots of little ones, too!

MODG said...

shoes and coats really do equal true happiness

Sarah said...

I love coats as well! And you certainly do have some very cute ones. Unfortunately I am no longer allowed to buy any coats :( Or scarves :( Apparently I have too many. Blech.

Sarah said...

I love coats as well! And you certainly do have some very cute ones. Unfortunately I am no longer allowed to buy any coats :( Or scarves :( Apparently I have too many. Blech.

Veronica Lee said...

I love reading this too. We seem to have a lot in common!

MisAdventuresofMomof3 said...

Returning the follow! Sorry it took me until Sunday...what a weekend!

My name is PJ. said...

You have EXCELLENT taste in shoes and coats! EXCELLENT!

But I *heart* your reading corner so much! If I were you, I'd give my kids away for an afternoon a week and just chill in the corner.

Christine said...

I am LOL about the alone time! I still pee with the door open, even though everyone's grown. When the kids were little I never got a minutes peace in the bathroom...fingers and toys being shoved under the door. So I just left it open.
Books...I love everything about them. How they look, feel, smell. I used to have a large collection and a few years ago passed them on and down because I moved into a cottage with zilcho room. Your picture brings it all back:)

Molly said...

I can never take a shower alone either!!!! I try to do it as fast as I can, until I hear the little footsteps come pounding down the hall.

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

i have my grandmother's book collection and i love it too - they are here books from college, like her Greek book with notes in her handwriting

dawn said...

You had me at SHOES!
And coats???? I love the cream with the black embroidery... oh and the vintage black and lace one? To Die For!

And then there's blogging... and the Blogging Nation. IF not for this venue I am almost positively almost certain I would be insane. Or more insane than girl with 6 kids, a husband, a BIG dog and 4 pet birds normally would be.

Thanks for making me smile. My feet have become popsicles so it was nice to find that I can still move my face without it shattering.
GOtta love the heatpump in the northeast where it is not designed to function but is the only thing houses have anymore!
Stay warm and enjoy your JOYS!

Conquer The Monkey said...

impressive list!
I love the coat from the dr. of the 1800's that is bad ass.

Am finally back in blog land and look forward to catching up on YOUR writing!!!
Cheers!

Crystal Escobar said...

I love it! What a fun idea!!!

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

I just followed your comment on SITs, but I am also participating in Friday Follow, so I'm stalking you from all over. Love the story about the orange and the screwdriver. Too hilarious.

The coats and shoes... I'm so there with you. (I like boots more though). I have too many coats that are vintage, etc. LOVE them!

Have a great week!

MP said...

Such great photographs & wonderful writing, and I keep slipping back to your shoes! Really pretty shoes.

Lucie said...

I love your blog! Funny thing is, I'm sure that we are very different people but we have alot in common according to what you write on your blog! I love that! I especially love that you have a "Reading Corner".

Blessings,
Lucie

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails