Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Writer's Workshop...Dear Santa

Dear Santa,

You used to bring such joy to my life. I used to gaze up at the sky every Christmas Eve, searching the stars for that speck of red, for Rudolph's nose. I knew you had to be up there somewhere. I thought I saw you once. We were riding home from my grandparent's house and my forehead was pressed against the cold glass of the car window, my eyes to the sky. And I saw you! Amidst the stars, I saw the twinkling red light that had to be Rudolph. I could almost see the silouhette of the sleigh gliding across the sky. The glee I felt was indescribable.




When a teacher told me you didn't exist, my heart was broken. To this day, I can feel that pain so clearly. I was stunned. There was a mixture of disappointment, betrayal and sadness. How could you not be real? I believed so hard. That day, I not only lost you, but I lost a bit of innocence, a little bit of my naivete. I was sad to see you go. I smile now, to think of the little girl who was so trusting and believed in you whole heartedly. There was never a doubt in her mind. She wanted to believe in magic so badly that she continued to believe in you long after her friends had ceased their belief.

Now that little girl is all grown up with small children of her own. She has never lost her desire for the magical. And that, Santa, is why you visit her children. That is why your elves peek around the furniture in her house and why your reindeer will munch on the baby carrots so carefully arranged on the plate right beside your cookies.

Because even though learning the truth about you stunned that little girl, she realized that she wouldn't have had it any other way. We all have to grow too fast as it is and everyone needs a little magic in their lives. So I will let my children believe in the impossible for as long as I can and we will set our sights on the sky this Christmas Eve, in search of that red glow.

Merry Christmas.

Signed,
A Believer...

Ok...there you have it. My Writer's Workshop from Mama Kat. This was not what I was originally going to write, but when I sat down, this is what came out. And who am I to argue with the muse. (I don't want to scare her off...)





So, head on over and pick your prompt:

1.) Verse by verse, dissect a favorite song you had in 7th grade.

2.) List 5 must have gifts you are purchasing for a loved one this Christmas.

3.) Open letter to Santa Claus.

4.) Describe how you would celebrate the holidays if it was totally up to you and money was not a factor.

5.) Book review time! What winter read has you snuggled in and turning pages

20 comments:

panamamama said...

Oh, so beautiful! I feel the same way.

Amo said...

What a sweet letter! That is sad that a teacher told you there was no Santa. A boy in my 2nd grade class told me there was no Santa. My aunt said the principal of their elementary school told the ENTIRE school that there was no Santa when she was in 2nd grade. Isn't that terrible? An entire elementary school of child-like fantasies completely smashed by a hag. Why are elementary school teachers always hags?

And, I'm just now catching up on blogs. Your last entry about putting up the Christmas tree? Totally get it. My husband and I always end up arguing over lights that won't work and I end up decorating the tree by myself. Happens every year.

And I have no idea how to spell vacuum/vaccum either.

Holly said...

I just love how you wrote that. It is so beautiful. Santa is magical. My hubby is afraid we are on our last year for my son...but he believes and wants to believe so badly..it is so sweet.

I cannot believe a teacher would do that. I would go kick some teacher booty.

I believed as long as I could...until I could no longer deny that Santa and my mom had the same hand writing!

Susan Fobes said...

I am trying to keep that same magic alive for my kids but I am running out of time. My daughter says she still believes but I have my doubts (she's in 5th), and my son is starting to ask things like, "What are you and dad getting me for Christmas?" I've been telling him that I don't buy gifts because that's Santa's thing, but a boy in his class said there was no Santa, and we are talking first grade here!

I really liked your letter!

Erin said...

I wrote a letter to Santa, too, but very different from yours. This was lovely and a real pleasure to read. I am stunned and shocked that a teacher of all people would be the one to ruin the magic for you. That's awful. I'm so sorry it happened that way!

Noelle said...

that was a nice letter. i, too, love santa and the magic he brings every year. and i still have one that believes (how i managed this with a 12, 14, and 21 year old lurking around is amazing to me...)

shame on that teacher! may she have lumps of coal in her stocking forevermore. one should never, ever shatter a yound child's dreams like that.

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

That letter was so wonderful, thank you for sharing! And that teacher was a total you-know-what, I can't believe her!!

Mrsblogalot said...

I will always believe!

That was beautiful!!! Anyone who trashes magic and dreams is a big fat loser!!!

AJ said...

That was nice. I remember when I learned the truth.

My kids wake up to a Santa Christmas Wonderland every Christmas morning.

Beautiful. I should do this. I like writing prompts.

brainella said...

The year I became aware was the year I realized that the man in the Santa suit was Uncle Steve. :-)

Lovely letter. I still wish for the magic.

Denise @ Sunflowers, Chocolate and Little Boys said...

You did an awesome job....but I have to tell you that I am the complete opposite. I was terrified of Santa (and the easter bunny and tooth fairy, etc). The thought of some strange man (rabbit, fairy, etc) coming into our home while we slept freaked me out. I would panic at the sight of him. Every holiday eve I had to sleep in bed between my parents. Finally they told me they were all pretend and I felt SO MUCH BETTER.
Thankfully my fear has not passed on to my kids. They love Santa.

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

I did the writer's prompt also, and happen to be a member of SITS on my "OTHER" blog and haven't posted it yet to the new one. I loved reading the letter to Santa, what a great and different twist, I loved it!!

Janie B said...

I'm still waiting for Amo to recant what she said about elementary teachers being hags. After all, I'm an elementary teacher AND her mother! Humph! She has been chastised and will recant, if she remembers. Of course, I'm sure she didn't mean me. (smile)

Joshua said...

This was great. Thank you for sharing. I can't even remember now when I lost this to knowledge. That might be worse than losing it in the first place.

-Joshua

Amo said...

Oops, I must withdraw my previous statement about all elementary school teachers being hags. I meant to say all elementary school PRINCIPALS. My mother, who is an elementary school teacher, graciously pointed out my faux-pas. Sorry, Mom. I did not mean to O-ffend. And again, I say, OOPS!

Andrea (ace1028) said...

Very sweet letter to Santa. Hope your kids experience the magic!

Working Mommy said...

What a great letter!!! I can't believe it was a teacher who took your dreams of Santa away! How rude!

~WM

Willoughby said...

I don't remember when I stopped believing, but I remember when my son did. He was in the third grade and a substitute teacher told his entire class that there was no Santa Claus. She actually made some of the kids cry. I was irate! I complained at school, but I never heard if she was reprimanded.

My daughter has been questioning the existence of Santa for years, but I always tell her Santa only visits children who believe in him. You're never too old to believe in Santa.

Unknown Mami said...

You're a Santa groupie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails