Saturday, December 26, 2009

Twas the Day AFTER Christmas...

Twas the day after Christmas and all through the house
Were messes like fires, waiting to be doused.
The Christmas stockings lay limp on the floor,
The toys that filled them have already begun to bore.

Children are screaming and crying, coming down from a Christmas sugar high,
Brownies, pie and candy galore. (I had cookies for breakfast, I can't deny.)
The kids are still in their new pajamas, hair all a mess. And yes, so is mine;
I wonder if breakfast is too soon for wine?

Sub zero temps, outside the wind is howling, blowing snow against the window pane,
Would it be child abuse, I wonder, to put them outside so that I may remain sane?
Or perhaps, early to sleep, so no one else will hear me weep
In frustration at the pile of dishes in the sink.

There is potato mashed in the chairs and dried gravy spots on the floor,
Even the old dog has stopped begging for more.
The house was full of people; of children alone there were a dozen,
Now there's chocolate and snot smeared across the sofa; thank you sick cousin.

The toys that were begged for, Santa brought the right type!
Yet, it seems that they do not live up to the hype.
I can see another meltdown is in sight, a new toy is already broken,
Calm down, maybe we can fix it, I say, but I may as well not have spoken.

Duplicate items, purchased by well meaning wishers are stacked neatly by the door,
Another item on my growing to-do list, awaiting their return to the store.
Ball poppers, transformers and Whack-a-Mole,
Gifts that are truly good for the soul.



Torn wrapping paper and instructions to read, more batteries to buy,
Another trash bag is filled as I heave a great sigh.
Now it's time for lunch and in my mind, I see a tasty turkey sandwich,
But before I eat, I have to clean the kitchen. And I know I shouldn't bitch...



Because it's a time for sharing, a time for love, a time for giving...
A time to re-evaluate the way we've all been living.
But I'm glad Christmas has gone and family drama can fade
Although with it, I wish it would've taken the mess it made.
I drank enough this year that in-laws weren't an issue
And holiday stress? I have to say I won't miss you.



But to you and yours, I hope you all were in good cheer!
Here's to a Happy New Year!

And this is why family holiday pictures should be taken before the end of the evening.

34 comments:

The Waylaid Wordsmith said...

You're awesome and hilarious. :)

My house is also demolished, and we didn't even host Christmas dinner. And I'm not cleaning it. I don't care. We can live among packaging mountains and strewn toys another day. Or three.

I wish I could sleep until the new year.

Widge said...

you just summed up my Christmas exactly.

otin said...

It is a wonderful picture!

You actually may end up with flour in your hair after cleaning all of that mess up.

Alice in Wonderland said...

Absolutely loved the poem! This was just a brilliant post, made me think that I have no kids!
Never mind...it will all get cleaned up eventually!
Festive Greetings to you all!!!

Melissa said...

Did you write that!??? That is awesome! Have a Merry week-end!

Homemaker Man said...

I sort of have a picture of you getting in your car and then:

"And I heard her exclaim as she drove out of sight
You clean this mess up, I'm gone for the night!"

Homemaker Man said...

I sort of have a picture of you getting in your car and then:

"And I heard her exclaim as she drove out of sight
You clean this mess up, I'm gone for the night!"

Amo said...

That picture is hilarious! That is about how ours was too - rushed, stressful, irritating, and a mess left behind. And a baby crying every night from exhaustion. I never thought I would say this but...I'm glad Christmas is over!!

mudmama said...

Great minds think alike (heehee) that was my post titel today, too! Though I didn't have it in me to write a poem, you did great! Love the "issue" and "miss you" rhymes!
So true so true. A little wine for breakfast might be justified ;)
Happy happy! xoxo

Angie Muresan said...

Loved your poem! Yes, the unexpected joys of Christmas...

My name is PJ. said...

You made me feel like I was there with you today!!!! Too, too funny!

panamamama said...

Love it! Merry Christmas to you!

Tiffany said...

so fun--glad you had a great holiday! (that picture is priceless!)

Unknown Mami said...

Well done!

Molly said...

great poem, you have a true flair for words!

I've had either cookies or chocolate for breakfast all week, and my daughter has lived on sugar for three days......

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

okay, i meant to post this before christmas but it didn't work out schedule wise, so anyhow your guest post is scheduled to run on tuesday.

r u s s said...

I so enjoyed reading this post. I had a good image of how things looked like post-Christmas. Haha! And yeah, I agree about taking family photos before dinner. Can I also add? Before getting buzzed too! :)

Flory said...

Love the poem, and the picture is awesome! My Christmas seems boring next to yours.

Have a happy new year!

jenie said...

haha! but im glad you had a wonderful time still! your photo guarantees that ;)

I actually am here to invite you to see my signing off where i tagged you (for a comment as well)...hope you can come see it soon.

Stina said...

Love the post:-) you nailed it, about the children's christmas presents. About an hour after the presents were opened. Our children were bored...

Happy Holidays to All, and to All a Good Night:-):-):-) Until next year...

Joshua said...

Sigh...I miss the sub-zero temps. Christmas is not the same for me without snow. Damn you, Georgia!

-Joshua

Sunday said...

That was hilarious! Love the family photo!

When did I become my Mom said...

Love the picture, and the poem!

kys said...

Haha! Love the picture! Aren't you glad it's over for another year?

Suz said...

Apparently you are most creative when udner stress! What a great poem. Wine for breakfast is OK - we drink fruit juice - wine is just old fruit juice.

Your photo should go on the Christmas card. What a hoot!

Momma Such said...

Love it! ha ha! I know exactly what you are talking about! I think it's going to take the next few months for me just to get this house back in order!
I hope your New Years is GREAT! :)

Nezzy said...

Ya should see mine after hit by the kids and eight, yes count 'em EIGHT grandkiddos. Then my kids do things like switching nick~knacks and even turning pics upside-down 'cause they know how very Type~A freaky I am. Man, they mess with my mind!!!

It looks like ya'll had the perfect Christmas.

God bless and have a very Happy New Year!!!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Fantastic!!! Love the pic too! You summed it up perfectly. Hope your New Year's is wonderful!

Clueless_Mama said...

I love the poem! That was really good to come up with and so true too. I love the family picture. How funny:)

Michelle said...

That plicture is HYSTARICAL. LOL. sorry to laugh.

Did you write the poem?

Visiting from my SITS day this summer. Better late than never.

Elizabeth said...

Fantastic poem. Your kids look stressed out...eek.

BPOTW said...

Now that's an honest poem! Thanks!

Holly said...

Great poem. I actually like that photo, but I am weird like that...I like it when the craziness happens.

Darlene 'Dee' Bishop said...

I understand these feelings... :o) Following you from MBC... You can follow back at http://frugalfancyblog.blogspot.com/ if you like.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails