Thursday, December 3, 2009

I'll have my lobotomy now. Thank you.



My husband is in ski country for the weekend, taking leadership classes for the Fire Department. He was voted back in as Chief last week which is good. For him. He called awhile ago to tell me that the "hotel" he's staying in, turned out to be a condo with a kitchen, dining room and a wood burning stove. Blah, blah, blah. Good for him.

Yeah, well I have a kitchen and a dining room and plenty of wood to burn...
...there's chairs, tables, all those nice wooden commemorative plaques that the department has given him over the years. Yeah. I have plenty of wood to burn. I don't need any stupid condo in the mountains. Leadership classes...hah. He can take all the leadership classes he wants. I will always be the boss of him. Bah.

I thought I'd take advantage of this time, get the kids to bed early, have a glass of wine and actually work on my novel. The best laid plans...or is it the road to Hell is paved with good intentions? One of those.

After a disastrous trip to Walmart, during nap time (I can't go into details...it's still to painful) I came home and unloaded my groceries. I popped a frozen pizza in the oven, gave the dog his thyroid medicine and yogurt, fed the kids and then made them go to bed. At seven. The strange thing? They went. Well, Nick did. Delaney did, because I carried her up, put her in bed and then stacked the child gates in her door to keep her in there. I need two, one on top of the other, so she can't crawl over. (Please tell me I'm not the only one that does that?) But the baby...the sweet, adorable baby. He's not tired. Nope. Not at all. He would like to play and pull my hair and drop toys in the dog's water bowl. He'd like to crawl on the table and bang on the computer keyboard. He'd like to open the dishwasher and pull out steak knives. But then I made him drink the wine, and finally, he's asleep too.

And I'm drinking Theraflu.



My throat is sore and that red wine wasn't helping out (kind of like the kids). And I can't seem to stop coughing. There's spittle all over the keyboard (it is TMI Thursday, you know). I'm a bit sick of the sickness in this house. I'm ready for it to be over. Colds, bronchitis, ear infections, the flu...just make it stop. Really. That's enough. Thank you.

And obviously, since I am writing in my blog, I am not working on my novel.

I'm bitter as hell right now, for several reasons, all of which I will spare you right now. Tomorrow you may not be so lucky.

I'm fighting that dark pit that's threatening to engulf me. I'm standing right at the edge, dangling my legs over the chasm. I really don't want to go there, I really don't.

Sometimes, I think that maybe lobotomies weren't such a bad idea.

31 comments:

The Waylaid Wordsmith said...

I am so, SO right there with you. I'll spare the details as well. At least we're in good company.

You know, Nebraska is still waiting for us. I'll bring the whisky.

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

I so felt your pain. I hope you're feeling better soon, if not, then the whiskey might not be a bad idea.

At least your tree is up, right?

Michele said...

I am also RIGHT THERE WITH YOU!!! For reasons that, I too shall save for another day.

Sorry to hear about all the sickness in your house as well. Hope you are all feeling better, and back to normal soon. It can sure make life seem overwhelming, no doubt about it.

A lobotomy sounds perfect and peaceful right now. Where do we sign up?? Or maybe a "coma"... a coma would be nice too.

Ignorance is bliss ~ some cliche`s are just worth saying out loud!!!

Feel better! :)

r u s s said...

Please feel better soon sweetie.
I noticed, you always mention wine in your posts :) I'm a wine-lover too.

Sunday said...

Kids, husband and sickness seems to be driving us all crazy. I for one know it can be a really short trip!

Someone once told me that when you feel like you are at the end of your rope you should tie a knot in it...it makes it easier to hang on. I think I might have actually punched them.

Actually, I know I did.

People who aren't stay at home moms with episodes of depression really shouldn't be allowed to speak. Ever.

So, I won't tell you to tie a knot in the end of your rope, or pull yourself up by your boot straps, or any other wishwash pleasantries.
Instead I'll just say I know how you feel. Seriously. I really do.

And I'll open another bottle of red in your honor.

And drain it.

blueviolet said...

That orange is getting a lobotomy with the screwdriver!

I'm sorry that you're sick. :( And I'm sorry that Walmart is so Walmart-y.

I hope today is a banner day!

Lunhatikk said...

Today I was given a really pretty bottle of wine for xmas and I thought of you! lol. See, I don't drink wine and you would think my friend of over 20 years would know this... but apparently not! So I thought of you and considered how I could possibly send it to you because you would at least get some use out of it. Here, it's just going to sit up on the top shelf there collecting dust like all the other bottles of alcohol (see my vodka goes in the freezer and never sits still long enough for dust settling) ;)

*huge huggz*

The Peach Tart said...

Sorry you're sick and in a funk. I hope it passes soon.

Christie O. said...

oh yes, another one here who knows your pain. funny thing is, last night I put the kids to bed, heated up a frozen pizza and sat down with a bottle, er, glass of red wine. I thought you were peeking in through my windows for a moment there!

Willoughby said...

I hope today is a better day! If not, I hope you've got a good stash of wine in the house!!

Erin said...

I agree with SUnday (who I'm about to check out in a sec) who said that people who aren't SAHMs who have experienced depression shouldn't be allowed to speak. LOVE IT & it's so true.

I hate it when my Hubs is out of town and things get crazy. Of course, things are often crazy even when he's around, but I'm the one dealing with it.

I hope you especially get to feeling better soon. Did you get a good night's sleep finally?

Noelle said...

sounds like you need a day off...maybe you could take the kids to a friend's or relative's house.

hope you feel better soon...

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

Sounds to me like you need a girl's weekend in spa country when your hubby gets back. There's nothing worse than not feeling and being completely ON duty!

I hope you feel better!

Angie Muresan said...

At least you have the right attitude! You are the boss of your man, and the boss of your kids. This flu season sucks though. We're all sick and sneezing into our hot cocoas.
I find that if I go tanning for 10 minutes when it's cold and dreary and I'm depressed, I feel much better. The place where I go has a section for the kids to play in, so I don't need to get a sitter.
Feel better, soon.

Working Mommy said...

Good grief!! After all that excitement (or terror, I can't decide) I almost want to ask - would you like fries with that?!?! LOL!!

~WM

UberGrumpy said...

Why do fireman have to ski? Sounds like a junket to me.

The Penny-Pinching Mama said...

I hope you feel better soon!

I tagged you in a Christmas Meme:
http://thepennypinchingmama.blogspot.com/2009/12/christmas-fun-getting-to-know-you.html

Molly said...

Seems like sickness is everywhere in the blog world, hope you're better soon.

Try the theraflu with a shot of vodka, or just use oj....vitamin C is for a cold..right?!!?

Shannon said...

I hope today is better. I have been right there. More than once. Did I ever tell you about the first year of Liam's life? He only slept for about an hour at a time and cried the rest of the time. That year was what I call a "natural" lobotomy. I am seriously brain damaged for good. I really hope you are better soon! {Hugs}

3LittleMonkeys said...

I hope you are feeling better soon! BTY, I put a doorknob cover on the inside of my boys rooms! There is NO escaping the prison! The only downside....getting up at 6 to take them potty...UGH!

Susan Fobes said...

I am sick of all the sickness too! I swear if I get coughed on one more time... Hope you feel better! (Pop in a chick flick and watch without interruption if hubby is away...)

CanadianMama said...

I feel like this every time my hubby travels for work. Then I feel like I can't complain because his job is the one that makes the money. Sigh! In a perfect world we would all be rich hey!!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Now you know you are sick when the red wine doesn't help! Hang in there! :)

Holly said...

Bummer. Hope you start feeling better. I to ofeel your pain with the kids, walmart, etc.. My little girl climbs into out of and over everything. I give up!

Homemaker Man said...

"He can take all the leadership classes he wants. I will always be the boss of him. Bah."

This and the wine comment cracked me up. By the end of a busy day with the babies, I often feel numb and lobotomized. I guess that doesn't count. And I signed up!

Heidi said...

I am so sorry that you are feeling so low right now. I have to say that I really think that it is the time of year. I once had a doctor tell me that all my "down" feelings this time of year had to do with not being out in the sun and I had a vitamin D (or something like that) deficiency.
Well that afternoon I spent a good hour and a half freezing my butt off on my porch and the next day, I was still a bit depressed.

Make some cookies, give them away, and then come home and go to sleep (of course this is after you've given all three of your kids benadryl)
I hope you feel better soon!

Unknown Mami said...

Well I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
than to have a frontal lobotomy.

I might be drunk, but at least I'm not insane.

kys said...

Good God woman, stay out of WalMart. You'll catch the crazy!
I hope you are feeling better - physically and emotionally.
PS I haven't started my "novel". Nor do I have a tiny clue as to what I will write about.

brainella said...

See...I KNEW you needed a bottle of wine! WalMart will make anyone crazed; with three kids I'm amazed you made it out alive and got home safely.

Two Normal Moms said...

Oooh, I think I've seen that dark pit before!
Hang in there! It really will get better - it just may take a little bit!
***Ally

Two Normal Moms said...

...and in the mean time, the wine has to help a little?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails