Sunday, November 22, 2009

It's Fantastic!

See this guy?


Jason Schwartzman has starred in several movies, including "Shop Girl", "I Heart Huckabees" and "Funny People". He also played King Louis XVI in "Marie Anntoinette".

Most recently, however, he is the voice of this guy, or, um, animal in the new film adaptation of Roald Dahl's "Fantastic Mr. Fox."



And I had the pleasure of speaking with him (the man, not the fox) last week about the new movie. I even kept my daughter home from her beloved dance class, just so I could participate in this call. I have my priorities...conversation with sexy movie star or my daughter's future as a ballet dancer? Easy choice.

Schwartzman won me over the second he came on the line. He was so enthusiastic and gushed about how excited he was to be talking to us! His passion for this movie was immediately apparent and it further fueled my desire to see it.

"Fantastic Mr. Fox" was over three years in the making. It is a stop motion movie incorporating 125, 000 still images. That amazes me. I pulled up the website after the call and was blown away. Each puppet was hand made, down to the tiny clothes and sets. "It's good for the brain, good for the eye...so much love and care went into making the movie," Schawartman said and after watching the featurettes on the web page, that's apparent. The voices were not recorded seperately, like they are in most animated movies. All the actors lived on a farm while filming, and acted out the scenes with a sound man. Schwarztman said that when the characters in the movie were eating "french toast and biscuits" the actors were also eating french toast and biscuits. If the characters were digging or sitting under a tree, the actors were also sitting under a tree or "running around, growling, hooting and hollering". And since these actors included Schwartzman, George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Bill Murray and Owen Wilson, that had to be a sight to behold.



Schwartzman said that some of the scenes in the movie are "the funniest things I've ever seen in my life", are "mesmerizingly beautiful" and are "heartwarming and uplifting." He said that first and foremost, the movie was made for kids, with kids in mind, but everyone could enjoy it.

"It will do kids so much good to see this movie...it has so many great things in it," he said. "This movie is going to be stuck in their brain and will hopefully be there for a long, long time, if not forever."



"Fantastic Mr. Fox" opens nationwide on Thanksgiving. This looks like such a fun movie! I can't wait to see it!

Fantastic Mr. Fox giveaway post here!

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

This movie looks amazing! Wow...3 years in the making?! crazy.
Can't wait to see it.
Your very lucky to have talked to him ;)

That One Mom said...

We're looking forward to seeing it over here.

blueviolet said...

He really does seem like a nice guy! That's a fun conference call! :)

I love all the care to the making of the puppets. :)

Elizabeth said...

I cannot wait. You are so lucky :)

Noelle said...

what a neat thing to participate in! i saw him in marie antoinette and LOVED him...i've heard some buzz about the mr. fox movie but didn't realize he was a voice in it. i'm looking forward to the moving coming out...i think my diva will enjoy it.

mudmama said...

That's great, you talked to Mr. Fox about the movie Mr. Fox :) How did you hook up with him? So cool!
I was looking for a movie to take my little guy to this weekend, and I think this just might be the one. Thanks!

Tiaras said...

seriously - I tired to read this book to my son and he refused to listen (the little turkey butt) and then he sees the previews for this movie and thinks is it "fantastic"

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

You summed it up beautifully! He really was such a sweet, sincere guy. Can't wait to see the movie and share it with my boy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails