Friday, October 30, 2009

What is a vampire's favorite holiday?

Fangsgiving!

Ok, I promised another ghost story. And quite honestly, I don't know if I want to tell it. Thinking about it still makes me heart pound in my chest and I get a little panicky. I irrationally fear that telling the story will bring it back...like maybe she's reading over my shoulder. Ugh. See, I just gave myself chills...

Here goes...

Last year, my parent's were in the market for a new house. They were just kind of browsing when they came across one they fell in love with. It was an old stone school, house built in 1900. They were serious enough about it to have the entire family come and see it when the realtor showed it.



The house was beautiful. Most of it had been remodeled. The basement was in it's original state and was...well, creepy. My brother and I wandered around it, trying to act like grown ups and be brave, but I could tell he was as weirded out as I was. The kids wouldn't come down at all. They preferred it outside. I kept trying to picture my mom and dad there, having holiday dinners, etc. and realized that I was very uncomfortable with that. For no apparent reason. But when we left, I thought nothing more of it.

That night I was home with the kids, my husband was working and I was getting the kids ready for bed. When Delaney was younger, she always went to bed easily, no whining, crying or complaining, but that night I could not get her to stop screaming. Everytime I'd go upstairs and she'd be standing in her crib, screaming hysterically and I couldn't get her to calm down. She actually threw up, she was crying so hard. I picked her up and went to carry her into my bedroom. I set her down in the doorway to talk to my son and she started screaming again and pointing to the top of the stairs.

"What is she doing here?" she cried.

"Who is she? Why is she here, WHAT IS SHE DOING HERE?!!?" She kept repeating and crying.

There wasn't anyone there and I told her I didn't see anything.

"WHY IS SHE DOING THAT? WHY IS SHE HERE?" she kept screaming, holding on to my legs for dear life. Delaney absolutely refused to take a step closer.

"Delaney, there's no one there," Nick said encouragingly and walked over the stairs. Delaney suddenly stopped crying.

"She's gone now. She left. She's gone," she said and walked into the hallway and into our bedroom, like nothing ever happened.

At that point I could barely breath. The fear in my daughter terrified me and frankly anything that terrified my daughter like that terrifies me. Ghosts don't scare me, but whatever made my daughter react like that does. I ended up getting all three kids in my bed and I went down the stairs to shut off the lights. Walking down the stairs was like walking into a freezer. There was about a 4 feet section of staircase that was ice cold and then it was gone.

I'm surprised I didn't have a heart attack, I was so terrified. I laid in bed with my kids, my eyes wide open, staring at the doorway.

I don't know how ghosts work, or where she came from or what it was. But it freaked me out. And it freaked Delaney out. I can't help but think that it had something to do with that house, which my parent's did not buy. It seems like too much of a coincidence.

And that's my story.

22 comments:

Nina Say said...

Reading that gave me chills. As a child, we lived in an old house out in the country. And I always saw an old man, but my Mom never believed me. When I was about 13, my Moms best friend took me to a concert and we somehow got on the topic of ghosts. She told me she knew there was a ghost in my old room.

That spooked me! But it is not nearly as horrifying as your story.

eeeek

Lunhatikk said...

Dude! That was scary!

The Waylaid Wordsmith said...

Ahhhh! Oh man, I would have freaked out.

Sissy said...

Holy crap! I think I would have peed on myself. Glad they didn't buy the house.

Pam said...

That is very scary and unsettling. No wonder you were freaked out.

Btw, Happy Sharefest Saturday!

Twincerely,Olga said...

had to stop by.Oh my goodness that is so creepy!!!I am glad they didn't buy the house!!!Wow, I'm getting the willy's just thinking about it

Janie B said...

Oh my goodness! Creepy for sure! But, kind of cool, too.

jenie said...

http://heniperrr.blogspot.com/2009/10/time-to-good-scare.html

I've got my own stories to tell...and i tell you, it is extraordinary!!! so halloweeny ;) come read them too.

blueviolet said...

That literally made me shiver with the chills!

She must have followed you home. I'm so glad she left!

leigh said...

You are cordially invited to an award ceremony over at Leigh vs Laundry.
Get dressed up because you have an award waiting for you.

XO
Leigh
www.leighvslaundry.blogspot.com

Conquer The Monkey said...

that is a gnarly story, but I totally believe it!!! I think kids even more than adults can "sense" stuff because they aren't all jacked in the head yet and don't know enough to block things out. Thank God your parents did not buy that house!!!
Thanks for stopping by, I'm now a follower, great blog!!
Cameron
www.conquerthemonkey.com

Conquer The Monkey said...

that is a gnarly story, but I totally believe it!!! I think kids even more than adults can "sense" stuff because they aren't all jacked in the head yet and don't know enough to block things out. Thank God your parents did not buy that house!!!
Thanks for stopping by, I'm now a follower, great blog!!
Cameron
www.conquerthemonkey.com

mommapolitico said...

Hey, there's too much out in this world of ours that we do not know about or understand. And kids' instincts are usually right on - I'd trust theirs as much as my momma's intuition! Great post - will definitely be back!

Staci said...

Creepy! I'd be freaked out by that too!

We had a similar experience one night in a hotel with our then 3 year old. He kept yelling about ghosts on the ceiling and freaking out, which he never does. To calm him down, we told him we could blow bubbles to send them away. Apparently it worked. Who knows?!

r u s s said...

That really creeped me out! I saw the title of this entry last night and wanted to read it, but chose to do it this morning instead. I did the right thing!

I get scared easily and I have this wild & vivid imagination so if I read this last night, for sure, I wouldn't be able to go to bed.

So did your parents buy the house? I hope they didn't. OMG, the ghosts followed you? My Mom always tells me that children are more prone to see ghosts. My brother used to see a lot of ghosts and spirits when he was little.

Willoughby said...

Excellent ghost story, it gave me chills! Does your daughter ever talk about it? I wonder what and who she saw?!

Veronica Lee said...

Man, that was scary!! What an interesting post!!

Molly said...

yikes. I've heard that children are more apt to see spirits, which I think explains why my 4 year old had that talk with a ghost. crazy!

brainella said...

Maybe the ghost came home with you...just a thought. :-)

The house I grew up in was over 100 years old, and I knew of at least one person who had died there. Weird things used to happen ALL the time. We just blamed it all on "Harvey" because otherwise, it would have freaked us out.

!!The Obnoxious SAHM!! said...

we live in a historic district and there are old homes everywhere here. sometimes I just wished that until my kids are old enough to not be terrified, people would just play it cool and just hand out candy.
Last night my daughter was terrified over alot of the scary masks (oh and a post is coming about that tomorrow)

hope you had a nice night. :)

Ladybug Mama of 2 said...

Oh that gave me chills. It would have definitely terrified me if my daughter had done that. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my post. I'm super glad that she's in jail now as well.

abby jenkins said...

our home is haunted but by very nice ghosts, I told them when I first moved in not to scare me and they haven't!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails