Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What does a ghost get when he skins his knee??

A boo boo!

In the spirit of Halloween I'm going to share some tales of horror and blood curdling terror. Terror, I tell you. Terror. You will run screaming to your mommies. You will turn all the lights on in the house. And then the electricity bill will be even more horrifying than any ghost story and you'll forget all about this one.

But until then, prepare to be frightened. Or at least mildly startled.

Photobucket

This is the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. It was built in the early 1900s by F.O. Stanley who was known for creating the Stanley Steam Engine; a steam powered, horseless carriage. Although horror fans will know the hotel instantly as the setting for Stephen King's "The Shining."



Growing up in Estes, I actually had my Brownie/girl scout meetings at the Stanley. Looking back now, I realize that is kind of a cool thing to be able to boast. At the time, it was just what we did. You were a Brownie and meetings were held at the haunted hotel made famous by a horror novel. We were oblivious to all that, busily making turkeys out of pine cones and other assorted crafts, learning campfire songs. In later school years we had our choir and band performances there. And unfortunately, I never saw any of the reported ghosts. I do recall hearing the piano play one time we were there and supposedly there was no one playing it, but I can't be certain that it wasn't the overactive imaginations of a gaggle of giggling girls.



However, it is reported that for the grand opening of the hotel in 1901, F.O. Stanley presented his wife Flora, with a Steinway Grand piano. The same piano still graces the hotel's grand ballroom and apparently Mrs. Stanley still stops by in her ghostly state to play a little piano now and then. People have seen the piano keys moving, but there is never anyone there. On further investigation, it always stops.


Her husband, F.O. Stanley, is also said to haunt the hotel. It is reported that he prefers the Billiard room, but has also been seen in the lobby. Bartenders have reported seeing him behind the bar, but he always vanishes before he can be approached.

The 4th floor, which was the former servant quarters, is also said to have a lot of ghostly visitors. A Lord Dunraven is said to haunt room 407 and likes to switch lights on and off. People have claimed to have seen a face looking out that window, even though it was not occupied at the time. Room 418 seems to host several child ghosts. Past guests have checked out early because they were unable to sleep due to all the children playing in the hallway and then on closer investigation, found that there were no children checked into the hotel at the time. Stephen King himself apparently saw one of the child ghosts; a small boy calling for his nanny. Impressions are said to appear on freshly made beds and there are reports of strange sounds that come from the room.

(Taken at the Stanley, picture found on www.hauntedamericatours.com)


Ooo...spooky, dontcha think?? Want to book a room?

13 comments:

SeriouslyWhyCantI said...

We went to Estes Park last week. We sat out front of the Stanley Hotel taking pictures like a real tourist. I think it would be so great to actually watch The Shining in The Ballroom in the Stanley. Definitely creepy. Didn't realize you were a local, are you still there?

Lindsey said...

creepy!

~Missy~ said...

Oh how cool!! I love old "supposedly" haunted places, but I've never been in a famous one..just the old houses in Georgia where I grew up, including the one across the street from my grandma's where Sherman had a headquarters in his march thru Georgia.

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

Ooooh, spooky! I love ghost stories!

Willoughby said...

You're so lucky! I'm a huge Stephen King fan and The Shining is one of my favorite movies. I'd love to visit the Stanley Hotel!

Molly said...

that is very cool! I love a good ghost story, I'm a believer!

That One Mom said...

They have a Stanley Hotel episode on Ghost Hunters. It's sweet... The Girl and I are paranormal junkies...

Daffy said...

I love me a good haunting... I love even more such fabulous structures from our nations past. Buildings like that are so cool... I have an over active imagination and just picture how it would've been in the early 1900's to waltz through the grand rooms....history is so cool....

blueviolet said...

I don't think I could stay in a haunted hotel at all! But it actually is pretty cool that you've been to the Stanley so much.

Amo said...

I love The Shining! And I love ghost stories. Thanks for sharing this one with us!

Susan Fobes said...

No thank you!

Alice in Wonderland said...

I actually live in a Haunted Castle in England! Not that I have seen very much action here! Well, it was used for a few shots of Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman in a few shots of "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves", and a few other period pieces!

Joy said...

Interesting read!

Stopping by from the SITS Halloween Parade :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails