Thursday, October 15, 2009

To my mom...



The best thing in life is giving birth to your best friend.

When I graduated high school my mom gave me a silver locket inscribed with those words. That sums up our relationship perfectly. My mom is always the first one I call when I have exciting news or I need someone to talk to, or when I need a shoulder to cry on. We talk daily, sometimes twice a day. The day just doesn't feel right without that phone call. My brother and I have this strange way of accidentally calling her at the same time. If the phone is busy, it's because my brother got through first. I can only hope that I have the same relationship with my children when they are grown. My husband talks to his mom maybe once a month, my brother and I talk to our mom daily.

I can talk to her about anything and everything. There isn't anything off limits. She is the kind of mom that I strive to be.

Growing up, of course things weren't always smooth going. Fortunately, I have a terrible memory and I can't remember most of it. However, she does claim that I didn't speak to her for an entire year when I was about 13. Apparently if I had something to say to her, I would tell me dad. I must have been a beastly child. When I imagine myself as the mom and my daugher as that 13 year old, it breaks my heart. Mom, I'm so sorry.

As a teenager I thought she was completely unreasonable with her 2:00am curfew. Now, I think that was pretty generous. I get a little nervous thinking of my children out and about into the wee hours of the morning. I think their curfew is going to be closer to 10:00pm.

I remember being so embarassed when we had the safe sex talk. Now, I'm so thankful that she was able to be so open and trusting. I now know that's how I want to approach that subject with my children.

She didn't yell when I came home from a date with my shirt on inside out.

When I was 18 she made herself perfectly clear on how she felt about me dating a man 10 years older than myself, but never forbade me leaving the house to met him.

She told it how it was and let me decide whether or not I was going to listen and take her advice.

And eventually, I did.


She's a fun grandma...


And a beautiful woman...


And I'm so lucky to have her. She's made me the woman and mom, I am today. Thanks mom! :)

21 comments:

blueviolet said...

You know, I just absolutely love this!
That is exactly what I hope to have with my own daughter!

This post made me smile!

Susan Fobes said...

What a nice tribute. You know moms love stuff like this-I hope you show her...

leigh said...

I love my mommy too. She makes me want to be a better mother. Your mama is beautiful!

XO
Leigh

Nancy@ifevolutionworks.com said...

What an awesome post. Your mom is a very pretty woman and I really envy the relationship you have with her :)

r u s s said...

This is a very beautiful post.Ü It is very sweet of you to give this tribute for your Mom. God bless you more for this.

Janie B said...

What wonderful love you have for your mother. She is a beautiful woman. I wish I could still tell my mom how wonderful she was. I think she knew. But, I sure do miss her.

Mandy said...

What a wonderful post! That's wonderful that you have such a great relationship with her!

Michele said...

Wow... what are you doing to me?? I didn't come here to cry! (kidding)
What a beautiful post and tribute to your mother! She sounds absolutely amazing, just like you!!! How truly blessed all of you are !!
Thank you for sharing that, it was wonderful and touching.

Neva said...

What a sweet relationship you two have. I wish that for me and my girls...

Tattoos and Teething Rings said...

It's great to see a woman adoring her mom instead of complaining about her.

Willoughby said...

What a wonderful post!

Thank you for stopping by my blog and becoming a new follower. I hope you will join the cocktail party by sending me a submission to share with my readers.

Amo said...

What a wonderful relationship! I feel like I have a great relationship with my mom now, but it wasn't always that way! Great post! And yes, the 2 am curfew was very generous!! Mine was 11 pm!

Rocky Mountain Memoirs said...

What a great post! I hope to continue having a close relationship with my daughter, but am prepared for some rough waters in coming years...she'll be 12 in January. I think we'll be able to weather the storm, much like you and your mom. :)

Unknown Mami said...

I've got a knot in my throat now. Beautiful.

Holly said...

What a beautiful story and an amazing tribute to your mom.

Holly @ 504 Main

Lunhatikk said...

N-awwwwww, that was the sweetest, heart swelling post ever! My relationship with my mother couldn't be less like yours, though we're getting there. You give me hope that I can even have that kind of relationship! I hope I have that kind of relationship where my kids ring me every day.

I actually chuckled out loud reading about your t-shirt... D-OH!

AngieB said...

Love your blog! I came over from SITS. Reading through your recent posts, it's obvious your mom instilled her marvelous sense of perspective in you. You can keep the big picture in sight and see the humor in the crisis of the moment. And your blog design is beautiful - I'll be following!

Alice in Wonderland said...

I had the usual love/hate relationship with my Mother, but now that she is no longer here, I miss her like Hell! There are so many things that were left unsaid, and I know that I loved her so much. She made me the person that I am today, but I still wish that I had her courage though. She was one amazing woman, and I miss her more everyday. A really moving post!
Another follower! I'll be back to check regular!

Christella said...

You two are blessed to have such a wonderful relationship. You make we wish that I had a daughter.

Flory said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother! You have are blessed to have such an open relationship with her.

I talk to my mom everyday because she takes care of my kids. I'm not a phone person, so I have to wonder if that would be the case if she didn't.

Mama Kat said...

She's gorgeous! And exactly the kind of mom I want to be!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails