Thursday, October 1, 2009

Flashback Friday; Old photos

For today's Friday Flashback, I'm flashing so far back that I wasn't even around yet and the world was a sadder place. (Kidding... I have to watch what I say, I've been losing followers. I think someone took the Edwards bumper sticker a bit to seriously.) Anyway, where was I? Oh, yes. Friday. I love old pictures and one of my many projects involves scanning all my family's old pictures into the computer and compiling a sort of family tree. These are a few that I particularly like...


This would be my great-great grandfather on my dad's side of the family. I love this picture...the pipe, the hat. I wonder what he's thinking. Doesn't he look like a nice guy?
Photobucket
Photobucket
This is my grandma, also on my dad's side. These pictures are special because of the shoes...she still has them and shows them to me everytime I come over (which isn't as often as it should be) and tells me the story. My deceased grandpa picked them out for her, they were here favorite. You can't tell from the poor scan, but they're beautiful tooled leather, with a scroll design. They'd be quite "in" today. I also think she looks like Ashley Judd in these pictures.

Photobucket
This is my dad as a child, with his grandfather.

Photobucket
This was my grandfather on my mom's side in his high school picture. He committed suicide a few years ago and it always makes me a bit sad to look at this picture. He had no idea what his later years would hold...perhaps it's a good thing to not know the future. It would be too hard to deal with the present.

Photobucket

This is my very stylish grandma on my mom's side. At 86 she can, and will out shop you. She buys shoes by the hundreds. She once gave me a pair that she had, saying "I got home and found I already had a pair like this. I must have really, really liked them."

I'm just glad we both wear a size 6 1/2.

16 comments:

Mom of Three said...

Lol - Lucky you!
Great photos.

The Waylaid Wordsmith said...

Those are great photos! I went through some ancient ones recently, and they're just so beautiful. I want to get a few framed and hang them...but considering that I can't even get around to framing pictures of the kids, it may be a project long in coming to fruition.

T~T said...

you are so lucky to have old photos of your family!

tiarastantrums.com

Amo said...

Ah,that is awesome that you can scan these into your computer and keep them safe forever! I think your great-great grandaddy looks like a very nice guy. Easy going! I loved looking at these pictures!

Momma Such said...

Great photos! I love old time photos! I find myself sometimes trying to make some of my photos I take look like these old photos! Your family is beautiful by the way!!!
How cool that you have a Grandma with style!!! :)

Christella said...

The photos are wonderful.

Emma said...

I love old photos of my family, especially the ones with their cars in the background. My mom still has most of them, but I've been begging her for copies.

Nikki said...

Hi, I'm Nikki..I was on One Chic Mommy and thought I'd peek over here. I LOVE getting old photos together. I made copies of my Grandfather's pictures and it's so neat to take a look back.

I also love baking. My new blog has my family recipes on it. You might like to stop by sometime!

As far as the depression...I've suffered from anxiety attacks since I was 20. I have MVP syndrome and they used to be quite nasty. I also had PPD after my daughter was born.

I salute you for having 3 kids so young and close in age! Mine are 5 and 2. I'm a SAHM just now getting a break. My oldest started Kindergarten this year.

Have a lovely weekend!
nikki : )
thechocolatemousseblog.blogspot.com

Rocky Mountain Memoirs said...

Very cool! I love old photos!

Janie B said...

Wonderful photos! I should do that.

Kacey R. said...

My Dad has a collection of all of our old family photos. It is really cool to looks through them. I have a few of my Grandma and she is always so stylish and beautiful. Good thoughts.

Lille Diane said...

These are priceless. You have some great looking genes in your family, little miss pretty flour in her hair girl~ Lucky you that you can share shoes. =]

ummm now I gotta go find that Edwards thingy... don't worry I won't jump ship...

God's Favorite Shoes! said...

The pics of your grandmother are precious! You are good...I would have ripped those shoes from hands and would have been wearing them by now! I love old photos!

God's Favorite Shoes! said...

oh...I'm visiting from SITS!!

Crafty Girls Workshop said...

Hi,
Stopping by from SITS Saturday and I'm glad that you were the post before me by random chance! Your blog is great and I think I'll be stopping by again soon. I love those old photos. I have one of my grandparents on my Dad's side and I think I look a lot like my grandmother at that age. She's sort of my muse sometimes too. I know, creepy, now that she's passed away. Your blog is funny and cute and I love the candidness that you use to talk about life. That's valuable because blogs often tend to just show the good stuff. OK, sorry to ramble. TTYL!

Anna

Foursons said...

Wow, I love these pictures with the stories behind them! Especially the shoes that your grandma gave you 'cause she bought them twice! Bahahahahahaha. And your other grandma who shows you her most prized possession every time you visit (shoes of course!) is so sweet. Apparently a woman and her shoes has been a treasured love for all of eternity. I'm guessing God has shoes for us up in Heaven.

Where is this Edward button you speak of that is causing you to lose followers? I love me some bloggy drama and I NEED to see that button!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails