Sunday, October 4, 2009

Books

A house without books
Is like a room without windows...



I love to read. I love it. I love books. Big books. Small books. Medium books. Old books. New books. Middle age books. Books, books, books...My house is filled with them. The walls are lined with bookshelves that are overflowing with, well, books. I have books stacked on the floor by my bed, next to the night stand because the night stand is already wedged full of them. They are stacked next to the computer, on tables, chairs, the toilet. I have boxes of books in the basement that I do not have room for, but one day hope to . I have visions of the library I will one day have (after I win the lotto)...red cherry wood bookshelves, floor to ceiling shelves complete with those rolling ladders so I can reach the top. A heavy roll-top desk, big picture windows...sigh. Anyway...

My grandpa, "poppy", was also a book lover and before he died, he gave me all his books. I now have a huge collection of old collectible books, some worth some good money. I even have textbooks from the late 1800s/early 1900s that are still in the orginal wrapper and box that they were packaged in, which is amazing.

There are first editions, children's books, prayer books, school books, hymn books, books in German. There's a set of well-loved Zane Grey books that aren't worth the frayed bindings that barely hold them together, but looking at them make me smile. I see them and I envision Poppy's old, veined hands holding them, his face one of concentration.

Because of my love of books and the memories that they can carry, I'm boycotting the Kindle. Even if I could afford one, I wouldn't want one. There's just something magical about a "flesh and blood" book. Something tactile and real, something that technology just shouldn't mess with.

And now comes the point of this post...

My new addiction has taken me away from my love of books. It has stolen my soul.

I haven't read a book since I bought this game. I used to stay up after the kids went to bed and read. I used to read several books a month. Not anymore. I play Scrabble on my DS. The scary part is that the game keeps track of the hours that you play. I'm not going to say just how many hours I've played. I'm pretty sure that it's wrong anyway. It must take the actual hours you play and then multiply by three. Or five. Or six. But either way, that's a lot of hours I should have been sleeping. No wonder I'm so tired when the sun comes up. I can't even blame it on good literature.

I blame it on technology. What is this world coming to? Someone, help me, please, I beg you. Recommend the best book you've ever read. Order me to read it. Wrench me away from this terrible game and let me read again! I want to be free! Free, I tell you! Free!

15 comments:

Mandy said...

I completely agree with boycotting the Kindle. We can't do EVERYTHING on some sort of computer. There is nothing better than holding a book in your hands!

The Waylaid Wordsmith said...

This made me laugh so damn hard...because last night, while both exhausted and at a time when we should have been sleeping, my dear husband and I were playing DS Scrabble (against each other, on separate DS's...

It's an evil game. Evil! I don't get much reading done either these days. It's far worse than my Tetris or Mario Kart addictions ever were. And if ever I manage to pry myself away from Scrabble, I have...the New York Times crossword puzzle game! I hesitate to tell you just how mediocre I am at it. Perhaps if I spent more time reading and less on my DS, I could achieve better results.

The worst part of all this is I never even wanted a DS...

Susan Fobes said...

Ah, I don't have a dreaded handheld computer, but my blog has been taking up all my free time and then some. Technology can be great but... I am a Jane Austen fan, and can read, and re-read her novels many times without getting bored. I recently read, "Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict," by Laurie Viera Rigler, and it is very good although I thought it ended too soon. (btw: check out my blog changes if you get a chance and tell me what you think.)

blueviolet said...

You're trying to convince me to convince you to read. But, what's happened here is that you've convinced me I need that game.

Jess said...

I'm totally against the Kindle....I just wouldn't be able to take it into the tub with me :)

Amo said...

I completely agree with you. You are a girl after my own heart! In my "about me" section of my blog, I wrote that I am boycotting the Kindle back in January when I started my blog! My mom has a Kindle and she loves it, but I don't think it is for me.
I wrote a post not too long ago about my favorite books. It was called "Fabio in a circle with an X through it" from September. YOu may have read some of them before, but take a look! You might find one you want to read. And good luck with your Scrabble addiction! I love that game, too!

Christella said...

I'm still in love with books, but I also love my Kindle. It's wonderful when traveling and I take it with me when I know that I'll have to stand in a line.

But nothing beats the smell and feel of a new book. So, I do both.

Tiaras said...

oh now I may have to make a new purchase to check this game out!

TaraB said...

Just stumbled to your site after finding you through June Clever after a Six Pack. Anyway, I am totally with you on boycotting Kindle. I love all techie things, but I can't jump on the Kindle Wagon just yet. The library is my candy store.

Sissy said...

exactly how I feel about books and the Kindle. yeah, let's take the "experience" out of EVERYTHING why don't we? lame.

Janie B said...

You all have obviously never held a Kindle and touched a single button to turn the page just as you get to the bottom or wished you had the newest best seller you just heard about and pushed a button to receive in on your Kindle in less than one minute. It's heavenly!

Of course, I still love my other books, too. REALLY love them!

Unknown Mami said...

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

The Waylaid Wordsmith said...

I should point out here that while you may (accurately) be able to blame me for your DS Scrabble addiction, you have now just inspired several more people to get into it with this post. Ha!

J. said...

Just found your blog from joys and struggles of a super mom, and I'm so glad I did. This post is luscious, it makes me excited thinking of all those books. I love books.

Have you read 'the shadow of the wind' by carlos ruiz zafon?

down with kindle!

panamamama said...

Beautiful, beautiful books! My dream home would have one of those brass and wood rolling ladders in a huge library like in "Bedknobs and Broomsticks!" (And a huge kitchen. Forget the rest!)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails