Monday, September 7, 2009

Clean House

This past weekend I visited my bestest, dearest friend from high school. She recently moved into the same town, just down the road.

It's just her and her husband, their two cats and a dog.



Her house is an oasis.

It is quiet and clean. There are breakable items in low places. Glass on the bottom shelf! There are candles on the coffee table and an actual table runner, with tassels that hang over the edge, right at crawling-baby eye level. She has coffee table books on the table that don't actually have coffee stains on them. Or milk. Or juice.

(I recall actually spending $80 on a coffee table art book once. $80.00 Obviously, before children, my priorities were a bit different...)



But anyway...

There aren't permenant marker drawings on the sofa. There aren't covers on the outlets or baby gates on the stairs. You don't have to struggle for 5 minutes with child proof locks on the door knobs. You turn the knob and the door opens right up! It's amazing. There aren't little bits of food stuck to the wall next to the dining room table. No sippy cups laying on their sides, slowly leaking into the sofa cushions. The kitchen floor is not sticky.

It's beautiful. It's like a show home.

Then there's mine.



I know. Shameful, isn't it? I could claim that it's not really a picture of our playroom, but that would be stretching the truth a bit. Or, um, an outright, blatant lie.

I suppose the kids and I will have to pick it up sometime...

Just not today.

8 comments:

Rocky Mountain Memoirs said...

I can TOTALLY relate! I went on a whirlwind this morning to clean up the family room as I could just not take it anymore...it will last about 5 minutes! I love spending time at my friend's houses who have no kids. Just to remember what it was like long, long ago.

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

Oh....remember what that was like? Naps, long baths, using the toilet all by yourself...ah, those were the days! ;)

Maybe that's the problem. I'd be more motivated to clean up if I knew it would stay that way for longer than 30 seconds!

Janie B said...

I laughed so hard at your post, it woke up my dogs! Very funny, mainly because I've been there. Just remember, they eventually grow up and move away. Your house will be clean, but oh, so empty. Enjoy the chaos while you can.

Janie B said...

By the way, your widget won't let me copy it for my site. Am I doing something wrong?

Little Miss Muffins Cakes! said...

Ah, the never ending battle with toys! But for me the alternative is so sad! Along with the messy play room come joyful laughs and little fingerprints that are so cute! I too wish for the messes to go away. I'm sure one day when my kids are grown and gone I'll wish for them back!

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

I've resigned myself to several more years of a messy house with all my fragile stuff safely packed away!

Janie...as for the widget. I can't copy it either?? If I hit the right mouse button and "select all" it seems to work. I'm not real swift with all the techy stuff...I'm learning as I go! I'll see if I can figure it out. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. (And thanks for wanting it in the first place! :))

Rianna and Eli s Mommy said...

wow that looks really good compared to mine :) i'd post pictures but i'm embarrassed :)

The Waylaid Wordsmith said...

You know, my house is cleaner than those of a lot of my childless friends, and I'm no neat freak. I always figured it was because people without babies don't have to live in fear of what the eagle-eyed baby will find down there on the floor.

I guess it's just that I know a lot of slobs. ;P

Your play room's not too bad. You ought to see our art table. *shudder*

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails