Thursday, August 20, 2009

First day of preschool!


Yesterday was Delaney’s first day of preschool. I had visions of tears and screaming. I imagined my petite daughter, dressed in her cute little back-to-school outfit and new shoes, clinging to my leg as I tried to leave.

But those visions failed to manifest.

We walked her upstairs and she was so enamored with the other kids that she barely looked at us as we left. We forced kisses on her, she threw us a half-hearted wave and then joined the kids at the table with their green playdoh. My son was the same way when he started preschool. I remember his first day and he was gone before I could say goodbye, while the mom next to me was desperately trying to pry her son from her leg, his screams echoing in the coat room.

“No, mama, no, mama, no!” Which, for the record, is exactly how I felt about school, but that’s for another post.

For a second, I thought, “Oh, how sweet.” But then it got annoying and I felt bad for the mom. I was suddenly extremely thankful that my social butterfly had already flown up the stairs and I could leave with a clear conscience. I wondered if that other mom was able to think of anything besides her little boy that day. I know I wouldn’t have been able to. I really am glad that my children, the older two anyway, seem to adapt easily to whatever situation they may be in. I think that will make school, and life, easier for them.

Monday is Nick’s first day of preschool. And he’s riding the bus. I’m contemplating putting my dark sunglasses on, donning a fake mustache (since I tweeze my natural one) and following the bus to school.



You know, just to make sure...

5 comments:

Rianna and Eli s Mommy said...

awww... my Rianna starts preschool next month, she's a social butterfly too, so i'm guessing it will be the same for us. She gets SO excited to be around kids (especially since she stays home with Daddy all day) -- I just hope Eli is that way when he's old enough. At 19 months, he's in the "don't let go of mommy" stage... its quite annoying when you need to pee!

Debbie said...

What a doll! I'm glad it went well.

Veronica Lee said...

Isn't she a doll!!

I'm now following your blog!!s

Staci said...

I'm glad it went so well! My fingers are crossed that our first school experience goes half as well next week! I'm not sure I could handle being the mom with a kid attached to her leg.

Christina Simon said...

She's gorgeous. What a cool blog. I'll definitely be back. Found it on MBC.

I have two kids 6 and 9.

Please leave a comment at my new education blog www.beyondthebrochure.blogspot.com and I'll be very grateful!

christina

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails