Friday, August 7, 2009

The Joy of Family (Seriously. No sarcasm intended.)

I wrote a short article on depression for www.momdot.com called “Here comes the sun” and was excited to see it featured on their home page! It was the lead story in their health section. I’m pretty sure that they will publish anything and the placement is not indicative of the quality, but still...pretty exciting. It’s like I’m published! Kind of. Too bad it doesn’t pay...

Anyway...I was talking to my mom on the phone when I saw it and I told her about it. Normally, I wouldn’t have said anything because I’m kind of hesitant when it comes to my writing but I mentioned it before I thought about. It didn’t occur to me that she would want to read it. Yikes. I hesitantly told her where to find it and then hung up, quickly, so she could read it. My stomach was full of butterflies waiting for her to call me back. When she did, she was crying. She told me how well it was written and how much she enjoyed it. Then she made my dad read it, who called me and said it made him cry. Then she told my brother. Who called me to tell me how much he liked it and that he wished he could put words together like that. My brother (who is bipolar) and I have had many conversations about our respective mental issues and I borrowed the “pit” analogy from one of our conversations, it was just so apt. I feel so fortunate to have him in my life. As well as my parents.

I am so, so lucky to have so many understanding people in my life. My life would be considerably more difficult without them.

2 comments:

Aqua said...

I am glad you have such a supportive family. I am certain it really helps people. My Mom was like yours, so supportiveand caring, but she is gone now and the rest of my family either just do not understand, or even care to understand, or they think my continuing depression is my fault. I am glad I have found your blog. Keep posting and congrats on being published. That is exciting.

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

Thanks for commenting! I agree that having a supportive family is important. Without them, I don't know where I would be. I'm so sorry you've lost your mom, I can't imagine how difficult that must be.

I am also glad I have found your blog. I enjoy reading your posts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails