Monday, August 24, 2009

Eh, Go Take a Hike

As I had mentioned, my husband had made it possible for me to escape my children for several hours. So my brother, his fiance and I took a hike. Instead of kicking back with a good book and a glass of wine, I apparently put on some ill-fitting shoes and trekked through some mud, sloshed through some rivers and got pelted with rain. And I loved every minute. It was about 6 miles, round trip and I have the blisters to prove it. Ill-prepared as always, I forgot bandaids. I did, however, have the ziploc bag that my peanut butter sandwich was in. Folded up, it fit nicely in my shoe. The peanut butter left in the bag offered some extra cushion. I felt a bit like MacGyver. Just think what I could have done with a stick of gum!

And because a picture tells a thousand words, here are some of the highlights.


Calypso Cascades


The view


The treacherous log we had to cross due to our "shortcut"



My brother and I (I'm the one on the right)This was also the last time I saw my sunglasses



Someone loves me


Ouzal Falls


See the water falling from the sky???


Supermodel



Notice the missing sunglasses? Pity. I really liked them.



Playing with the F-stop (not to be confused with the g-spot)

9 comments:

Rianna and Eli s Mommy said...

wow, that is SO beautiful!! I think it would be a ton of fun to go take a hike, blisters and all!!! :) Man, I need a vacation... there's nothing that pretty here in MN :(

One Chic Mommy said...

How beautiful!!!! I so wish I could have been on that hike. That definitely beats out reading and a glass of wine and believe me I rarely say anything beats out wine.
Did you take those pictures your self? They look amazing, you captured the scenery very well.

Veronica Lee said...

WOW! Those are awesome pics!!! Thanks for sharing!i

Amo said...

What a beautiful place! I envy your idea of relaxing. My opportunity for relaxing is getting out of the house for a little while, away from my husband and child, and going to the grocery store!! Anything to get away for a bit. But, i like your idea better.

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

It was an amazing hike! I grew up in the mountains and when I got married I moved out east where its...well. Flat. And it smells a bit like cows. And I don't make it up there as often as I'd like to. It's always so peaceful and I can function better as "mommy" when I get a little peace in my life! :)

Thanks! Yes, I took the pictures. I'm one of those people you see with the big, fancy camera, pretending to know what all the buttons do. :)

Nanny Dee said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

In what part of the country do you live? Very beautiful photos from your hike.

I just read through a bunch of your posts-- you have a great wit and wonderful writing style. I'm hooked...and following you!

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

Aww, thanks for the nice comment Nanny Dee! Thanks for following! :)

I live in Colorado. Grew up in Estes Park then moved to Eastern Colorado after I married. I miss the mountains so much!

Bob said...

great pix, and an even better sense of humor!

The girl with the flour in her hair said...

Aww, thanks Bob!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails